Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-12 22:38:28

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Introduction

Hello.  Wow, I'm just amazed by this site.  The shakuhachi is really taking off...   I'm still in a somewhat out of the way part of Japan after almost two decades and still struggling with the flute, and now trying to learn how to teach the instrument as well.  This weekend I'll be performing with koto and shamisen players at something called the Ito Asobi No Kai ("playing around with koto") at the San Suien Hotel in Kochi at 2:30 p.m. if by any chance any one is traveling in this part of Japan; it's a free concert; we'll be playing the gaikyoku pieces Chidori no Kyoku, Sode Koro and Miyagi Michiyo's piece Miyako Odori.  Oh...introduction...my name is Daniel Ribble and I've been learning and playing the shakuhachi here in Kochi for almost 19 years.  Some of my more interesting experiences with the flute were playing Hifumi Hachigaeshi at my first paying gig out of Japan seven years ago for a variety show called Mick's Bag at an Indian restaurant  in Hong Kong following an outdoor buffet one rainy evening in March when I couldn't get any sound out of my flute and the audience thought it was a comedy act, performing with a Tokyo shakuhachi/koto group at Shanghai's Concert Hall together with Shanghai's Traditional Music Orchestra -- some fantastic musicians performing on erhu and dzi, playing Japanese honkyoku for a country wedding in Marlow, England in traditional hakama/haori while the four Japanese musicians were all in formal western dress playing Bach, having an impromptu session with jazz musicians met by chance along the Seine river in Paris on Bastille Day in 1999, playing for a house warming party in the wilds of Transylvania in a village called Ticcu Vecchi, and last year's improvizational pub sessions in Sheffield, U.K., with a Dutch player of Cuban rhumba on cahon.  As for life outside of shakuhachi, I'm married, practice aikido here with our two children and have been teaching English and editing doctors' papers at a local medical school for the last decade.  If any followers of the bamboo way happen to be traveling through the Kochi area I'd be glad introduce you to players in the area and my sensei here (and to my aikido class as well, which is great fun, with the aikido master playing a bit of shakuhachi too); I teach the shakuhachi outdoors on Saturday afternoons in a park called Josei Koen, behind Kochi Castle and Kochi Budokan (martial arts center).  Thanks for creating such a great forum, and  gambatte with the shakuhachi playing, making, and teaching.           
Best Wishes,        Dan Ryudo

Last edited by Daniel Ryudo (2006-02-20 21:46:23)

#2 2006-02-12 23:05:00

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Introduction

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are having a good shakuhachi adventure. Just out of curiosity, are your students all Japanese, or do you have foreign students as well?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2006-02-13 01:35:39

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Re: Introduction

Hi Tairaku,

That's an interesting question.  The student I've been teaching the longest, about three years, is an American from California who got me into aikido (he's a fourth dan in that art); the other students are all Japanese, including several college students, a doctor, and a housewife.  I had one other foreign student, a guy from the U.K., who returned there after a year here and is now teaching at a cathedral school in Exeter.  I've given a couple of one time lessons to several other foreigners (and several of them bought pvc flutes) up at music nights at writer Alex Kerr's house Chiiori in Tokushima prefecture.  Four other foreigners and two Japanese joined my sensei's group (a decade or more ago) because I had introduced them to shakuhachi -- three of the gaikokujin (foreigners) worked at the same language school I did: now they've all left Kochi; I was lucky initially as the Japanese friend that introduced me to my first shakuhachi sensei spoke English well and translated for me the first year or so as my shakuhachi teacher spoke no English and I still spoke little Japanese even after a year in Japan.    Cheers,     Dan
P.S.  You've got a great site here.

Board footer