Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-04 19:17:20

Daniel Nyohaku Soergel
Shihan/Kinko Ryu/Jin Nyodo
Website

Teacher in Brooklyn Heights

Daniel Nyohaku Soergel
Shi Han, Kinko Ryu
175 Columbia Heights, #4R, Brooklyn, N.Y.
(718) 643-0812
(917) 574-1905 cell
www.konkle.com/shakuhachi

Accepting Students

For anyone interested in lessons or just curious, I would like to offer this information in the hope that I can contribute to the greater shakuhachi community so the the bamboo sound might go out a little further.

Designer and artist by trade, I came to the Shakuhachi in 1988 through Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, who I have to thank for the gift of music. Ten years on came a jun- shihan, then a shihan, then somehow, students. None of this was really planned or sought- it just grew out of life. Not really interested in learning western or non native music for our flute, I stayed pretty much with the Japanese Honkyoku and Gaikyoku, but could not resist scoring new melodies based on that constant flow of music deep inside.

In 1997 I directed and produced a performance for the Autum Equinox at St. Mark's in the Bowery featuring the new work of five composers who performed as well, blending Shakuahchi with early western instruments and accompanied by the Lara McDonnel Dance Company.

In '99 and '01 I was invited to the Kennedy Center for it's Millenium Stage webcasts. (archived on the Kennedy Center site).
The next year I established an ongoing music series in the teahouse of the Humes Japanese Stroll Garden on Long Island, where garden wanders often stumble upon the flute unawares. In '04 I created original music for the off-Broadway play "Ballad of Yachiyo" (u tube).

Students are taught in the traditional Japanese manner and get the special attention befitting a labor of love. Beginners and more advanced musicans reaching for that next breakthrough are equally welcome.

peace to all,

Daniel

"The farther one goes,
            the less one knows." 
                                  - Lao Tsu, Tao Te Ching (XLVII,106)

#2 2008-01-04 19:26:24

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Teacher in Brooklyn Heights

Hi Dan, welcome to the forum! I miss Brooklyn but nevertheless feel compelled to inform you that it's 82 degrees here and I will be snorkeling and hanging around on the beach today whereas you and Jim will be..............oh never mind!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2008-01-05 09:03:51

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Teacher in Brooklyn Heights

Welcome Dan, your intentions are well placed and certainly a valuable addition to the growing body.  Please,  carry on.
Jeff

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer