You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-01-10 13:54:50

Ryuzen
Dokyoku (Daishihan); Zensabo
Website

Alcvin on Montreal TV

Hello,

On my recent visit to Montreal, I and (Bruno Dechenes) were featured on the local news program. You can view the broadcast here:

http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/cfcf#news_18347

Have a great new year of Shakuhachi and hope to see you in Sydney!

Alcvin

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Shakuhachi Bamboo Flute Arts
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<

www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/ramos.htm
www.myspace.com/alcvintakegawaramos
www.myspace.com/shindake

Last edited by Takegawa (2008-01-10 14:48:32)

I live a shakuhachi life.

#2 2008-01-10 14:09:38

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Alcvin on Montreal TV

Wonderful! Way to spread those shakuhachi roots Al and Bruno!

Ken

#3 2008-01-10 22:41:03

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Nice one there Alcvin!

Quote form the website and T.V segment.  “Composer Bruno Deschesnes is originally from the Gaspe, and he suspects he is the only Shakuhachi player from the region.”

I guess I have was thinking I was playing Shakuhachi for 10 years but actually it was a recorder. Thanks for making it clear to me an all the other players in Montreal.

Also I guess Umezaki Kojiro, Alan Koczinski, Jean Francois (Forgot his family name), Claude Maheux and some of the other players here on this Forum from Montreal as well would not be players of Shakuhachi? Since Bruno is the only one?

I find this statement a bit arrogant in this context and quite hard to believe that this would be the fabrication of the T.V channel. Unless when he says the region it means his street then it makes sense for the Montreal region we do have a certain amount of players out there.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#4 2008-01-10 22:53:37

baian

montreal and the gaspe are the same location ?

#5 2008-01-10 23:00:00

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

No Gaspe is far away from Montreal but Bruno works, lives and promotes his Japanese music enemble in Montreal. He was just born and raised in the Gaspe area.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#6 2008-01-10 23:14:09

baian

ah, i see. Was that what he meant then ? That he was the only player that came from that Gaspe region ?

#7 2008-01-10 23:37:20

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

baian wrote:

ah, i see. Was that what he meant then ? That he was the only player that came from that Gaspe region ?

Yes now that I recheck this it does sound like it could mean that he refers more to the fact that he is the only player coming out from the Gaspe region. Which makes sense but in the context and how it is played out it sounds a bit misleading I dont see why it was so important to mention the Gaspe part it is as if I needed to say that I was the only player coming out from my city North of Montreal and my city is not as nearly remote as Gaspe since I am only 30 mins from Downtown. Gaspe is at least 8 to 10 hours drive from Montreal if not more and now Bruno lives and promotes his Japanese music ensemble in the Montreal region since quite a long time.

Anyway they have a good Sankyoku ensemble and seem to be very active in the City of Montreal and the metropolitan region for a good 12 years or more I am sure.

If you want you can visit their site at http://www.musis.ca/welcome.html

They have some limks to one of their CD as well there and some good info.

Last edited by Gishin (2008-01-11 00:55:42)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#8 2008-01-11 00:37:44

Ryuzen
Website

Hello Sebastien. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, they meant to say that Bruno may be the only shakuhachi player coming from the Gaspe region. Bruno would NEVER be so arrogant as to say that he is THE ONLY shakuhachi player in Montreal! He is one of the sweetest and respectful people I know and is very knowledgeable and aware about who plays shakuhachi (or music in general for that matter) in Montreal. For him to say he's the ONLY player in Montreal is unthinkable.

Best,

Alcvin

#9 2008-01-11 00:56:26

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Takegawa wrote:

Hello Sebastien. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, they meant to say that Bruno may be the only shakuhachi player coming from the Gaspe region. Bruno would NEVER be so arrogant as to say that he is THE ONLY shakuhachi player in Montreal! He is one of the sweetest and respectful people I know and is very knowledgeable and aware about who plays shakuhachi (or music in general for that matter) in Montreal. For him to say he's the ONLY player in Montreal is unthinkable.

Best,

Alcvin

Anyway they have a good Sankyoku ensemble and seem to be very active in the City of Montreal and the metropolitan region for a good 12 years or more I am sure.

I suggest to all the readers to check out their website and read some of the articles written by Bruno http://www.musis.ca/welcome.html

They have some limks to one of their CD as well there and some good info.

Last edited by Gishin (2008-01-11 01:03:07)

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#10 2008-01-11 03:40:36

Alex

Gishin wrote:

“Composer Bruno Deschesnes is originally from the Gaspe, and he suspects he is the only Shakuhachi player from the region.”

For me it's cristal clear he was refering to the Gaspe region exclusively... but that's me!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#11 2008-01-11 03:53:16

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Alex wrote:

Gishin wrote:

“Composer Bruno Deschesnes is originally from the Gaspe, and he suspects he is the only Shakuhachi player from the region.”

For me it's cristal clear he was refering to the Gaspe region exclusively... but that's me!

Yes so it seems just did not understand it correctly altough I dont see what was the big thing about mentioning the Gaspe thing.

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo

#12 2008-01-11 06:13:51

nyokai
shihan
Website

Good TV segment, Bruno and Alcvin -- congratulations! In a few moments I think you got across much of the spirit of shakuhachi.

(As for the Gaspe thing, you have very little control over what a reporter is going to mention or emphasize. You might say something in passing only to find it the main thrust of a story. That wasn't the case here. But almost every short lightweight segment like this is sure to mention how unusual it is for somebody from distant place X to be playing a traditional Japanese instrument -- it's one of the standard cliches, along with calling the music either "melancholy" or "haunting."  You can expect it.)

#13 2008-01-12 02:35:29

ShakuNano
Website

Thank you for posting this news piece..
Your smile and the music send the same spirit of joy.
I'm looking forward to seeing you in Santa Barbara ( and maybe someday in the grove..)!

#14 2008-01-25 05:50:08

Ryuzen
Website

Shakunano,

Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow! Just to let you know, on Saturday, Jan. 26, I will be teaching at the home of Sudama (Mark Kennedy) at 2106 Las Canoas Rd. in the beautiful hills of Santa Barbara. Lessons will begin at 11 AM. The phone # there is: 805-687-4681. Please call for detailed directions on how to get there. You're welcome to just observe if you don't want to take a lesson.

Warmest regards,

Alcvin

Board footer