Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-02-15 15:22:10

Gitsuka

Introduction

Hello.

Before i introduce myself can i just thankyou for making and maintaining a wounderful site like this. I've had some trouble finding anything like this on the internet, Thankyou.

Well my name is Martin, im a twenty three year old working as a painter and decorator in Preston, UK. The reason i why i wish to learn the Shakuhachi is because i've spent the past three years 'finding myself' if you will. The biggest part of this was studying Japanese martial arts this then made me find the Shakuhachi. I've been searching for an affordable beginners shakuhachi for sometime, it seems they can be quite costly. Thankfully i managed to find one on Ebay to which im more than satisfied with. The reason i wish to learn and play the shakuhachi is because i find myself mostly a solitary person and the shakuhachi can in my opinion be an excellent solitary instrument. I think once i manage to play the shakuhachi i wont be able to stop. While i find meditation hard work hopefully i can find it through playing the shakuhachi and hopefully be another step closer to finding myself.

Well thats about it im affraid, im tired and i need to do some more reading through these forums.

Thankyou for reading.

#2 2006-02-15 20:15:33

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Re: Introduction

welcome Martin,

This is a great forum, a lots of information about Shakuhachi.

geni

#3 2006-03-06 16:40:01

ericv
Website

welcome aboard!  you can indeed find answers to most of your questions here.  you can also find many answers by just playing - good luck with it!

Shakpens:::Write like you blow  www.shakblog.com

#4 2006-03-07 05:10:39

Alex

Hey Gitsuka,

My teacher once told me that learning Shakuhachi was a path to learn about yourself, so you are on the right path! Now, nothing warranties you that what you will learn is that you don't have the patience to deal with complicated and long term things like this. It's up to also to decide which bits you want to change once you discover them. For example, one of my problems is that I quit things very easily, I am very impatient and I'm trying to counter this through learning Shakuhachi (well, that's only one of the many reasons!).

I would recommend that you take a look at Riley Lee's web page an his "Thoughts on Learning": http://www.rileylee.net/shaku_thoughts.html       Excelent source of inspiration for me.

Also, more for actual playing there's a web page with playing tips that I found amazingly helpful: http://www.kotodama.net/shakuhachi/tips.html

Finding a teacher will help you and luckily for you there are Shakuhachi teachers in London (I really don't know how far is Preston from London but it's a good excuse to go). Even a class now and then will give you very useful guidance.

Hope that helps, welcome and happy blowing!

Salud!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer