Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-03 00:20:38

JAlmodovar

Hello All!

I have just aquired an Shakuhachi Yuu online...i am eager to learn this instrument. I already play a native american flute.I Sent for some instructionam material,But will appreciate any help or pointers.My e mail is available for that purpose or you can post. Thank You

#2 2006-03-03 03:02:50

John Roff

Re: Hello All!

The best advice I can give is to enjoy every moment with the instrument. My worst times come when I approach playing with a preconceived idea of what I think I should sound like. My best times come when I just play, and forget about the future. It helps to have my eyes shut, but then of course you can't read any notation...

Enjoy it, and try playing in different places. Small rooms with lots of blank wall space are great to hear yourself play in.

Cheers

John

'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' - Gregory of Nyssa

#3 2006-03-03 04:04:01

JAlmodovar

Thank You My Friend... smile

#4 2006-03-06 16:37:29

ericv
Website

congrats!  i also have a yuu and it was recommended by my teacher as an affordable way to wade into the shakuhachi waters.  good choice!  i like john's comment.  i also get caught up in why i don't sound like this or that and i think it does lessen the journey.  my best times are when i just practice and don't worry about progress.  that said, i think it important to find a teacher to give you some things to work on that match with your current level of progress. 

i'm sure by using the forum you will find someone who can do that for you.  good luck and welcome to the board - it's a great place!

Shakpens:::Write like you blow  www.shakblog.com

#5 2006-03-06 17:15:32

jumbuk

I too started playing flutes with the Native American flute.  The shakuhachi is much harder, but at least the fingering is similar!  With patience, you will get some sounds, and you will greatly improve your breath control.

May I recommend Andrew McGregor's Shakuhachi manual and CD?  It is the only book I have seen that is reasonably easy to understand.  For the record, he is my teacher, but I got the book before I met him.

Also, if you can get at least one or two lessons, it will help greatly, even if you have to travel to attend them.

Good luck!

... as if nothing is happening.  And it is!

Paul Mitchell, Jumbuktu 2006

#6 2006-03-07 05:13:11

Alex

Hello,

I already posted these two reccomendations on another introduction but I thoght it is worth to post them twice. As a begginer they have really helped me as a source of knowledge and inspiration:

Riley Lee's web page an his "Thoughts on Learning": http://www.rileylee.net/shaku_thoughts.html

Playing tips: http://www.kotodama.net/shakuhachi/tips.html

Salud!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

Board footer