Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-04-13 16:25:26

Ampersand_jones

Two newbie questions...

I am just now planning on buying my first Shakuhachi.  I have been lurking here for a while now, absorbing as much information as I can.  I have 2 questions that I hope you can answer.  I currently play on a side-blown bamboo flute.  It is a pretty sturdy piece of bamboo and I have no concerns carrying it around with me on a regular basis.  I don't leave it in a hot car or anything, but it goes where I go.  Will a Shakuhachi be too delicate to carry around with me?  I'm not planning on mis-treating it, but I want to know if you carry one of yours with you?  Also is it possible to get a good beginner/student Shakuhachi made of Bamboo for around $150?  Most of the ones I have seen have been over $200.  Thanks for the help...  Oh and I realize that I asked 3 questions...

#2 2008-04-13 19:04:43

philthefluter
Website

Re: Two newbie questions...

It is advisable to seal the shakuhachi in a plastic bag when not in use. The main danger to bamboo shakuhachi are sudden changes in humidity/temperature. I use one of those tubular cases that are widely available in art shops to carry around. I put in some bubble wrap to prevent the shakuhachi from getting knocked about.

As you will find on other posts, most people recommend starting with a yuu if you have less than 200 dollars to spend and then saving for a bamboo shakuhachi. Most bamboo shakuhachi in the lower range on eBay, etc. are not tuned well and difficult to play.

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#3 2008-04-13 21:22:21

Ampersand_jones

Thanks for the quick info guys.  I actually just paid for a 1.8 Earth Shakuhachi from Perry Yung.  With his reputation on these boards I'm sure I will be very pleased...

#4 2008-04-13 22:26:17

Lance

Well....  the plastic 'Shakuhachi Yuu' would certainly be the stress-free way to have a Shakuhachi to travel with... the Yuu will be able to play a wider range of notes compared to that earth model (I think that's a fair statement).

Sounds like you've got a flute though... ENJOY the adventure!

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

#5 2008-04-14 10:26:13

Ampersand_jones

Thanks Lance.  I'm certainly going to try to enjoy it.  As far as storage goes, I live in Arizona.  It's hot and dry.  Not much humidity to deal with.  Should I still be storing the Shakuhachi in a plastic bag?

Last edited by Ampersand_jones (2008-04-14 10:26:35)

#6 2008-04-14 11:41:31

edosan
Edomologist

Ampersand_jones wrote:

Thanks Lance.  I'm certainly going to try to enjoy it.  As far as storage goes, I live in Arizona.  It's hot and dry.  Not much humidity to deal with.  Should I still be storing the Shakuhachi in a plastic bag?

It's the LACK of humidity that's the issue. All the more reason to use a plastic bag, AND a small piece of dampened sponge, in Arizona.

If the bamboo shakuhachi is moved to an area of lower humidity than that in which it was cured and fabricated, it will tend to lose moisture, which leads to cracking, which leads to gnashing of teeth, screaming, and tearing of hair and clothing.

eB

Last edited by edosan (2008-04-14 11:44:16)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2008-04-14 13:41:51

Ampersand_jones

edosan wrote:

Ampersand_jones wrote:

It's the LACK of humidity that's the issue. All the more reason to use a plastic bag, AND a small piece of dampened sponge, in Arizona.

If the bamboo shakuhachi is moved to an area of lower humidity than that in which it was cured and fabricated, it will tend to lose moisture, which leads to cracking, which leads to gnashing of teeth, screaming, and tearing of hair and clothing.

eB

Thank you that is great information to know.  Actually Perry Yung saw this post and realized I was the one who won the ebay auction for the flute.  He contacted me and offered to upgrade the Shakuhachi I bought to a thicker bamboo since it was going to Az free of charge.  Now that's customer service!

#8 2008-04-14 15:30:58

Lance

I also bought one of Perry's flutes (lower end), and he is very gracious about emailing customers and helping. A GREAT representitive of the Shakuhachi.

Humidity where I am is rarely less than 30% and often much higher...  I had a 'tiny' piece of sponge just dampened with tea tree oil along with my flute in a plastic bag and it got moldy when left for a few days! I cleaned it up with tea tree oil and it seems good as new, but in my environment I guess I can do without the sponge, actually, my flutes are just  sitting out right now, no plastic bags, in this 30%+humidity environment, since now I'm fearful of MOLD.

Somewhere on this site there's a discussion of humidity, sponges, plastic bags, etc. If someone knows where that is perhaps linking it here would be a good idea.

P.S. I can store my Shakuhachi Yuu underwater if I like, or on the roof of the house... but, it's also inside next to my bamboo flutes.

“The firefly is a good lesson in light, and darkness”

Board footer