Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-07-25 23:10:43

Zakarius

Disparity between scores, 'correct' way of playing, and recordings...

Now that I've hit the 2-year mark of my studies, I'm reflecting on this topic which is a cause of great frustration for me at times. I'm wondering if this is something many of you have dealt with in your studies or if it's just me. (I realize that mostly studying on my own and having occasional online lessons may contribute to this frustration, but this is nevertheless the only way I can go about advancing my studies.)

Do any of you get frustrated when:

o   you hear a recording that you fall in love with only to learn the piece and have your teacher constantly say that the way the piece should be played differs greatly from the way it is played on the recording (sometimes even having been recorded by your own teacher that way)...

o   you practice a piece by following the score in the time leading up to your lesson(s) only to find that the score is missing notes, has extraneous notes or vast technical fine points which could have easily been written in to clarify the piece...

o   you end up losing interest in a piece in its entirety and/or partially lose interest in practicing because you don't like the sound of the piece as you've been taught compared to the recording which made you fall in love with the piece in the first place...

Thanks ahead of time for any thought-provoking responses wink

Zak -- jinashi size queen

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#2 2008-07-26 00:23:41

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Disparity between scores, 'correct' way of playing, and recordings...

Thought-provoking response:

"Never let your schoolwork stand in the way of your education."

~ Mark Twain

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-07-26 00:38:04

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Hi Zakarius,

With honkyoku there is the prototype of the piece. Then there are all the variations that come about through the expression of the player. Then there is the notation.

The notation is not a photograph, it's a map. Not everything is or should be there.

Good players play the same piece differently upon their mood, time of day, flute etc. You can hear this in Jin Nyodo's recordings for example where he has recorded the same piece more than once.

Even if you are learning the song from a recording it's probably not a good idea to try to imitate the recording slavishly. In fact there's too much of that going on which is why you can hear so many duplicate CD's with different peoples names on them. In particular a lot of people are imitating Watazumi's improvisations as if they are songs. You may as well copy Charlie Parker solos. This is one of the problems of using recordings as references.

So while you are frustrated that's probably the way it should be because the notation does not represent the entirety of the transmission of a piece.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2008-07-26 10:19:53

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Zak

Zakarius wrote:

o   you hear a recording that you fall in love with only to learn the piece and have your teacher constantly say that the way the piece should be played differs greatly from the way it is played on the recording (sometimes even having been recorded by your own teacher that way)...

If you like it enough, you could ask your teacher to teach you to play it in that way. Not all teachers will do that, but you could try asking.

Zakarius wrote:

o   you practice a piece by following the score in the time leading up to your lesson(s) only to find that the score is missing notes, has extraneous notes or vast technical fine points which could have easily been written in to clarify the piece...

That's just normal. It may be more frustrating with you as it sounds like you do not have regular lessons. When you study with a teacher, the notation is not so fundamental. Also, keen students add their own notes (I mean information) to the scores as they study. Really keen players may even re-write sections of the melody, actually changing the melody.

Zakarius wrote:

o   you end up losing interest in a piece in its entirety and/or partially lose interest in practicing because you don't like the sound of the piece as you've been taught compared to the recording which made you fall in love with the piece in the first place...

That sounds like a shame. If that happens often, it might be best to do something about it. That could be talking to your teacher, and finding a new way for the two of you to relate which works better. Or you might even consider finding the teacher who can teach you to play it how you like it. Or, if it is just an occasional piece which ends up like that, you might want to try teaching it to yourself, the way you like it. Even if that is by imitating the recording. If the result is that you are happy and can then enjoy the piece, I think that is a good result.

Good luck
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

#5 2008-07-26 11:21:02

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Zak, Ni Hao.

Zakarius wrote:

Yes, this reminds me of the time I studied Choshi with Akikazu Nakamura. I sort of had the reverse problem. He was using Yokoyama's notation but kept reminding me to not play it as written. Then he played it differently (slightly) at every lesson. I wasn't frustrated, but more curious.

I would say that since you have a Sensei, you should drink deeply from the well. In just a little more time, you will be amazed at what that solid foundation can do for you as you start to interpret. It's like being able to swim freely in the ocean (of traditional music).

Thanks ahead of time for any thought-provoking responses wink

I know how it feels to swim in the pool smile

Be well my friend, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2008-07-27 12:57:53

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Zakarius wrote:

I haven't quite experienced this problem like you, because I just learned the piece the way my teacher wanted to  teach me. Once I could do this well enough, I could then move on to try to play it my way. Once there I would realise I would play it different again from the recording because my understanding of the piece had grown with the knowledge of another version.
But I had other problems a little similar to yours. My problems learning from Okuda was rather that he played the pieces so differently each time. Some times, he would do something very different to what he told me a week before. It frustrated me A LOT in the beginning. After about 10 years of intense study with him, I realised that it was the best pedagogical method to make me a flexible player. I could change the pieces according to the mood, the audience etc. Of course I could do that both on the piano and traverse flute before... but the freedom I experienced in shakuhachi music in comparison with the other instrumental genres, I strongly believe comes from my hard training of adapting to Okuda's changing moods. This is not the fastest learning method, I know. But it really has some qualities to it - I believe.

Zakarius wrote:

The score has no missing notes. The Japanese score - in this case for honkyoku - are not meant to be neither programmatic nor a representation of a given performance. The honkyoku notation is memory aid. The reason for the 'missing' notes is that they are not there because they are not the main notes. Japanese music is not working as scales like Western music, but in modes. It is therefore essential you know which notes are part of the skeleton melody and which ones are auxiliary notes. If all the notes were written down, it would take you many, many more years of study before you realise which notes are essential to the piece, while other notes you can omit or add as you please as long as it fits the mood of the piece.
The Japanese style of transmission may not be the fastest. It would be faster if all the notes were written and maybe even if there were note values... then you perhaps didn't even need a teacher. But this way of transmission, as it has traditionally been done in Japan, ensures the music reaches deep into your soul. It makes sure you embody the tradition! And to fully embody the tradition you need a slow process. I think the traditional scores are wonderful manifestation to the Zen Buddhist philosophy, which has a deep influence on the transmission methods in the arts of Japan. There is great importance in the learning process.

Zakarius wrote:

I think you should try not to be fixed on one particular rendition. It may be impossible for your teacher to play a version you would be satisfied with. Perhaps he grew older, perhaps he doesn't like it to be played like that any longer. His aesthtics may have changed. I would advice you to be open for any version. Embrace that version you can get with your heart, mind and body. Embody it fully, and then move on to the trying on your own to get closer to the version you so fell in love with. If you can't do that now... you may be able to in a year, two or five... when your technique and embodiment of the tradition is deep enough. The moment you are able to play a version that really satisfy you will be so sweet that it is worth waiting for some years. I promise that for sure! smile

Apart from this, I do hope you have good teacher.

Good luck!
Kiku

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#7 2008-07-27 14:13:48

jdanza
Website

Well, here's two cents from a "rogue" player. I started playing in about 1979, so I have a few years behind me, and I lived and studied in Japan for about three years.  I  have also run a Sacred Music Festival here in Vancouver for four years, so the whole subject of Tradition is close to my heart.
The way I see it, we need those who love the Tradition and make a constant effort to learn it faithfully and keep it alive. We also just as much need those who, on a basis of a deep knowledge of the Tradition, are striving to create new forms of expression and a new evolution within that Tradition.
Nothing is ever static and the fundamentalists will forever fight about what belongs and what doesn't, what's the "right" way and what's not. The fact is that there is no such thing as a "pure" music. Culture is fluid.
  My method has been to simply develop my technique so that I can express myself freely, and chose to "echo" any style that appeals to me. I can't relate to "losing interest in a piece". If you have a score (a very beautiful object in it's own right) nowadays you can go to Itunes and download probably at least half a dozen versions of it. I find it eternally fascinating how much freedom and beauty comes through comparing all of these, and it simply seems to grant me the freedom to find my own way with it. I also go into an obsessive cycle of listening to one or two pieces, until I feel I have them internalized (not in detail but in spirit and shape). Then it's just a matter of sitting, emptying myself and letting it come through, and then picking the technical challenges and practice a lot. and so on and so forth...
   A teacher is a great blessing, and we always owe them respect and gratitude, but if long term you are feeling discouraged and losing interest, maybe it's the wrong teacher for you (which is no judgment on him/her). On the other hand, a teacher can always give you valuable information and guidance, and it's our own responsibility to keep our passion and thirst for knowledge and inner freedom alive.
  Ultimately, far as I am concerned, the only "correct" way to play a piece is with all your heart and soul, after having put in some serious time developing both your Technique and your Being. If those elements are in place, don't ever worry about the fundamentalists and their rants. The Practice of Shakuhachi should never be about what anybody else says. Find the place where all the "should's" disappear. Simply become each note that you play. How can You be "wrong"?.
And finally... don't forget to have Fun!. When all else fails breathe and keep your sense of humor. The Universe is Big!. And here we are, these little creatures in this tiny planet with our little pieces of bamboo worrying so much about how to play this one note.
I look up at the Sky and just Laugh...
Blessings...

#8 2008-07-27 16:13:45

Alex

jdanza wrote:

The Universe is Big!. And here we are, these little creatures in this tiny planet with our little pieces of bamboo worrying so much about how to play this one note.

That certianly puts things into perspective!

Well, I just want to say I really share your frustration Zak! Recently I've been trying to learn Honkyoku on my own (in my case is due to a serious lack of funds!) and I am becoming more and more aware of how important is to engage into a calm and gradual transmission with a teacher to learn how to play this music (let's call it that!).

At the beggining it was everything about making it sound and then improving it. Now I think I have a fairly consistent sound and as I decided it was time to move onto playing Honkyoku it's becoming painfully obvious that the guidence from an experienced teacher is fundamentalt!

But let me clarify that I'm talking about learning honkyoku! I'm somehow convinced it's possible to do meditation with the Shakuhachi without needing to learn often highly complicated and technical pieces (Zazen is juts about sitting, so Suizen should be just about blowing, no???!) Meditation is what mainly drags me to this instrument, but I'm curious about what Honkyoku can deliver in this regard!

Well, I tend to think about Shakuhachi as a lifetime process, so maybe some day! In the meantime, just keep on blowing!

Salud!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#9 2008-07-27 19:46:57

Dun Romin

Hi Zak, guess I started playing about the same time you did and walked against the same 'problem-door'. It's some work, but I learned much by just writing down the score like I heard (and liked) it and then comparing with the score I got from my teacher. Normally then I start to understand the differences and see a pattern. At least I can ask very precise questions, when I have a lesson. When I can play it right, I forget about the scores, take my time and let it grow in my own system. Then it becomes just like above said, no two days playing and sound are the same; depends of your mood, surrouding, etc. For me this worked to stop worrying, so I hope it will the same for you. Happy blowing, J.

Tomorrow's wind only blows tomorrow. (Koji)

#10 2008-07-27 21:54:04

Zakarius

Thanks for all of your great responses! They seem to boil down to emphasize one thing... I have a far too 'robotic' perception of music (especially honkyoku) -- I've always hated hearing songs performed in a different way than what I became used to (i.e. a live Grover Washington Jr. concert versus one of his CDs). I guess this is why I'm so drawn to the music of Philip Glass -- the performance of his pieces have little to no room for variation.

What causes one to like one performance and not another?--It's all about being affected by the art, and some have a far more narrow range of appreciation. Any insights on how to broaden that range (if you feel it's important) would be excellent.

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

#11 2008-07-27 22:16:50

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Hi Zak
That's interesting. So it seems like the version you heard from the recording is not your favourite because you prefer it according to your artistic taste, but simply because you heard that one first. I know that feeling too. You learn to love a piece, and then you hear it a different way, and it is not what you EXPECT. You have grown accustomed to the sequence of notes, you have great anticipation for what is coming each next moment. And that is exciting. And also comfortable. Like hearing a familiar story over and over again.

One point is that, stories traditionally (across the world) were told over and over again. And we as humans have some natural tendency to appreciate that. But traditionally in most cultures these stories would be told a little differently each time. The base is the same, but the story teller has a certain degree of freedom. That's the same as playing music I think. But the CDs have habituated you into a new expectation, one of conformity, where each time you hear the piece, it is the same. I'm sure that if you had only heard those pieces live each time, you would appreciate their varying nature.

So, we have a condition of kind of the opposite of beginner's mind. With a beginner's mind, everything is fresh. There is no expectation. One is open to what is arising, with a fresh mind. I think if you want to broaden your range of appreciation, the thing to do is to return to this beginner's mind.

How to do that? I think you have accomplished the first step - you have realised "I've always hated hearing songs performed in a different way than what I became used to ". Contemplate that. Don't give yourself a hard time about it, but, when you get that feeling again of not liking the version of a piece, just take a step back, so to say, and contemplate this observation you have made, "I've always hated hearing songs performed in a different way than what I became used to ".

Then let yourself relax. Every time you hear a note which works against your expectation of the piece, just relax around that. Notice it, and don't push away any aspect of that experience. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, notice that. Even give that space too (I mean, let it exist too). No need to push anything away.

Every sound, every feeling, let it exist. And if you have actual thoughts about it (for example "I don't like this" or "I like this" or whatever), then notice them too but let them go. Don't go into them. That is, don't believe them. Notice them, and simply return to the sound.

Don't TRY to like anything. And also don't hold any idea about not liking anything. If a thought arises "I am this person who doesn't like ...", just notice that thought, and let it go. By the way, it is not telling any truth.

Space is open. Listen like space.

Best wishes

Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Last edited by Justin (2008-07-27 22:17:23)

#12 2008-07-28 02:17:16

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Zakarius wrote:

I've always hated hearing songs performed in a different way than what I became used to (i.e. a live Grover Washington Jr. concert versus one of his CDs). I guess this is why I'm so drawn to the music of Philip Glass -- the performance of his pieces have little to no room for variation.

Zak, I find it fascinating that your music perception or the way to love a piece is so boiled down to one version.... and then you chose an instrument like shakuhachi, which has so many variables - even if we try to play exactly like we did last time. I am only a shakuhachi player and ethnomusicologist, but to me it sounds like this instrument is helping you to loosen up in a particular way.
I know you shared your story very openly with the whole forum, and I apologise if you think I am being annoying or going too close. But I think the shakuhachi has taught me so much in my life which didn't have direct relation to music. And I thought it was doing the same thing for you. The way the shakuhachi has taught me things about myself, I find fascinating, so I also felt like sharing this as well.

Zakarius wrote:

What causes one to like one performance and not another?--It's all about being affected by the art, and some have a far more narrow range of appreciation. Any insights on how to broaden that range (if you feel it's important) would be excellent.

In the beginning when I heard other school's version of pieces I played, I would get disappointed by it not being just as I knew it. The anticipation, the comfort in hearing known phrases. But now I am looking forward to hear HOW different this player and the tradition he/she has learned is to mine. I mean really looking forward for the differences. I will at times ask the player afterward to show me the phrases that were different. Then I learn something too. smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#13 2008-07-28 20:06:15

Kerry

Zakarius wrote:

Hey Zak,
You've given me an idea for the next Samurai Songs broadcast. This Sunday is going to be Empty Sky Day. I'm going to spin some dramatically varying versions of Koku. I've been doing that with one different Tsuru no Sugomori version each week. I call it 'Crane Song of the Week' wink
If you're interested, I think you're 13 hours ahead from Central Standard Time, 9am here - 10pm there, but check that! Anyway, 9am CST Sunday www.radiofreenashville.org three links for online listening..... I like different performances, besides, no one can play anything "exactly" over again anyhow. smile  -kerry

The temple bell stops, but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers. -Basho

#14 2008-07-28 23:20:46

Zakarius

Great follow-ups by Justin and Kiku -- thanks, your perspective is enlightening.

As for the Samurai Songs, I don't get home from work on Mon. nights until 10:30pm, but I'll try to catch the latter half. As for Koku, I've heard dozens of different renditions of the song, and for some reason I don't have that sense of one way being 'right'.

#15 2008-07-29 08:36:46

nyokai
shihan
Website

In terms of how you learn, shakuhachi is in some ways like jazz: you study the tradition for many years, getting secure in your understanding of the vocabulary, and then you have complete freedom to play. The freedom comes from a secure grounding in the tradition. When performing, I think most master shakuhachi players are working from a place of freedom, not of slavishishness to a score or to previous performances. (And as Kiku pointed out, a score is just a memory aid, not an exact picture of the way a piece "should" sound.)

However, in another way honkyoku is very different from jazz. It's based on the technical subtleties of one particular instrument more than on the relationships of pitch, scales, etc. In traditional jazz the instrumental techniques, ornaments, etc. are individualistic interpretations of an underlying theoretical structure; in honkyoku, the underlying structure is elusive and the exact nuanced playing of specific techniques is what makes up the music as a whole, the underlying unity of it (from player to player) as well as its individual ever-changing expression in the moment.

Many traditional jazz players studied their instruments in pretty ordinary ways, with the school band teacher or some old piano teacher down the block. They then went on to apply the techniques they'd learned to the structure of jazz by listening to records and live performances. This is possible in jazz, because you can HEAR THE THEORY, for instance the relentless II-V-I progressions, the head-chorus-bridge structures, etc. etc. But I don't know of many good players who learned their basic instrumental TECHNIQUES simply by listening to jazz.

In shakuhachi the instrumental techniques, some of them very subtle, ARE much of the music, and so it is very hard to learn simply by listening and copying. You can play a jazz standard adequately without a lot of technique,  and nobody can say you're not "playing the music." But a particular honkyoku piece may depend for its effect on a beautifully executed ha-ro or koro-koro -- the music doesn't exist independently of the detailed execution. In addition, the underlying pitch relationships and especially the temporal structures of honkyoku are not transparent as they are in jazz (there is no strong unified theoretical basis), so it's easy to misunderstand the music from a performing point of view, thinking something is an important touchstone to a piece when it's just a passing ornament, or vise versa.

This is why, I think, "learning shakuhachi" is different from "learning pieces." Learning shakuhachi is something that you do with a qualified teacher, and it takes years. "Learning pieces" is something you can do well after you're a master. And even then, to learn a piece from a different school you might want to contact a teacher in that school...

#16 2008-07-29 11:04:16

Jim Thompson

That's exactly what I was going to say.

" Who do you trust , me or your own eyes?" - Groucho Marx

#17 2008-07-29 13:09:32

Alex

Jim Thompson wrote:

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Yeah!

Well, I wouldn't know as I haven't reached that kind of understanding, but I always find that Noykai's writing is amazing, both in style and in grasping the particularities of the issue at hand. I'm sure he is an amazing teacher!

Bravo!!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#18 2008-07-29 23:51:45

Zakarius

Alex wrote:

Well, I wouldn't know as I haven't reached that kind of understanding, but I always find that Noykai's writing is amazing, both in style and in grasping the particularities of the issue at hand. I'm sure he is an amazing teacher!

I just had a couple of online lessons with him to "learn a piece" (or I should say, START to learn a piece). He is indeed an excellent teacher.

#19 2008-07-30 05:02:59

Daniel Ryudo
Shihan/Kinko Ryu

Very cogent comparison; I wish I had said it (or thought it).   I'm still at the pre-articulation listening stage...   Kochi had its 5th annual summer jazz night last Sunday night.  Four hours of jazz bands simultaneously playing 45 minute sets at six different drinking spots/music venues in downtown Kochi; everything from Duke Ellington to bop to Latin jazz and fusion; then an uchiage (celebration party) with band members in various combinations from 10:30 to 3 am in the morning.  It was a pretty cool event considering it was held way out here in Japan's inaka (countryside); all local players with just a couple of out-of-towners -  a pro sax player and a trumpet player who won the country's best amateur player contest both down from Tokyo; the few shakuhachi players present were just enjoying the music.  Luckily no one asked me to make a comparison between honkyoku and jazz that evening, though I was asked at one point if I was packing a shakuhachi...

#20 2008-07-30 05:53:32

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Here is a short anecdote that places Nyokai's comment aobut learning shakuhachi as opposed to learning pieces into perspective.
I was asked to play at the first annual memorial of the death of an Osaka ex-pat business leader who took up residence in the Mt. Aso area of Kumamoto, Japan last Thursday evening.  I decided that it was the perfect opportunity to play honkyoku without concern that it might be inappropriate or not appreciated (understood) by those in attendance.  I played Kumoi jishi, Shin Kyorei, Koku Reibo and a slightly modified version of Zangetsu (of course not honkyoku, but appropriate.)  The widow wanted the performance to have a particular atmosphere and asked that I play to the light of three candles.  I thought it was a good idea (I was playing inside to a group of about 60 people).  Everything started off well, but somewhere into Shin Kyorei, two of the candles blew out leaving one candle that was busily flickering precariously.  Mid-piece, I had to consider what to do if the last and remaining candle blew out as well.  I decided that  I was familiar with the spirit of  the pieces and would simply continue playing, possibly not note for note but certainly in line with the core of the pieces, even if in the dark.  I was at ease and I knew that would translate through my playing. This was certainly an ease that 22 years of 'learning shakuhachi' afforded.  The last candle didn't blow out, but it left me unable at times to actually see the score.  It didn't matter.  Everything went on seamlessly and the evening had a very centering effect for all.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer