Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-09-30 14:19:58

jeff jones
Website

Removing Pro Ca Glue from bamboo

Hi all, I put this question in this area so as not to interrupt other posts. Does anyone know a way to remove dry Pro Ca glue safely? Or could anyone direct me to a related post, couldn't find any on the search menu.

Thanks in advance

Beauty is ugly at rest

#2 2008-09-30 17:48:33

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Removing Pro Ca Glue from bamboo

jeff jones wrote:

Hi all, I put this question in this area so as not to interrupt other posts. Does anyone know a way to remove dry Pro Ca glue safely? Or could anyone direct me to a related post, couldn't find any on the search menu.

Thanks in advance

I would try acetone (available at any big box store in the paint dept, or at craft/hobby stores). I doubt it will affect the bamboo (although you should test the surface, say, on the back between the fifth hole and blowing end), unless the flute already has a finish of some sort on it; acetone will affect most non-epoxy finishes.

Acetone is the recommended solvent for CA, BUT, is most effective before the CA has had some time to cure. It'll probably work for you, but you may have to rub the area smartly with several applications.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2008-09-30 21:05:25

Yooper

I have successfully removed small amounts of superglue residue with #0000 steel wool, as Monty recommends on his site (Caring for your shakuhachi).  It did not damage the skin on my flute, but of course your mileage may vary, so you might want to test it first on an inconspicuous spot.

"Simple and artless."

#4 2008-10-01 00:30:03

jeff jones
Website

Thanks Edosan and Yooper

Beauty is ugly at rest

#5 2008-10-01 09:47:26

Toby
Shakuhachi Scientist

I have sometimes managed to remove small spots of superglue with a fingernail, but it takes a fair amount of work. If you are careful, you can also use a NON-SHARP piece of metal or like the handle of a fork. It needs to have just enough of an edge to apply sufficient pressure, but not enough to damage the skin of the bamboo (and should be flat and not pointed!). Pressing too hard can leave a depression in the bamboo, so be very gentle.

Toby

#6 2008-10-01 11:35:47

edosan
Edomologist

jeff jones wrote:

Thanks in advance

FYI: Self-sacrificing and altruistic person that I am (uh-huh), I tested the surface of one of my flutes with some commercial acetone I keep around. I applied it liberally using a paper towel and rubbed briskly. There was no effect on the surface of the bamboo, other than a modicum of cleaning. Note that I did NOT apply CA to the bamboo a priori
--I'm not that altruistic (although I'm quite sure it would've come off).

If you don't want to purchase an entire can of acetone, finger nail polish remover almost always consists of acetone.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#7 2008-10-01 13:16:48

jeff jones
Website

Edosan, thanks so much for going the extra mile on that, I really appreciate it. I've been a little worried about messing with this flute, and this wasn't something big enough to send it out, you've eased my pain.  That act is just one more step towards saint dam.   

Thanks again

Beauty is ugly at rest

#8 2008-10-01 13:48:32

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Hi Jeff,

Not any new information here. Just support for what's been said already:

I wanted to second Mark and Toby's advice to be careful when using steel wool or scraping. I've found both are very effective as well and they DO work fast but you need to be careful. Too much rubbing with steel wool WILL start to take the skin off. And obviously, you need to be very careful with any scraping.

I've also had good luck with acetone, a rag and lots of rubbing. It's harder work and slower but perhaps safer.

Good luck!

Ken

#9 2008-10-01 14:18:42

edosan
Edomologist

Mujitsu wrote:

I've also had good luck with acetone, a rag and lots of rubbing. It's harder work and slower but perhaps safer.

If you wet the rag/paper towel well with acetone and hold the wetted area against the CA on the bamboo
for 30-40 seconds, it'll soften the CA, requiring less rubbing/agitation to remove it.

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#10 2008-10-01 18:47:50

Yooper

If you're going to buy fingernail polish remover, read the label and don't buy acetone-free fingernail polish remover by mistake.

"Simple and artless."

#11 2008-10-01 20:37:00

jeff jones
Website

Thanks everyone, I went out and got some acetone and just give it a go with that and lots of rubbing, I'd rather it take awhile and hopefully no injuries.

Thanks again

Beauty is ugly at rest

#12 2008-10-01 22:22:43

Derek Van Choice
Website

Hi, Jeff...

Most of the hobby C.A. de-bonders/removers are simply acetone mixed with a gel, allowing the solvent to "remain in place" for 5 minutes or so.  After that, 90% of the CA can just be wiped off with very little scrubbing, and a second application will solve that.  A ton of scrubbing with acetone could, potentially, alter the color of the bamboo.  Maybe the solution is somewhere in-between?

#13 2008-10-01 22:54:53

mrwuwu

Hello!   Jeff!          Actually I like Derek's idea as least invasive to the flute skin.     But just to jump in on the boat,   at work for speed and almost no harm to most materials not affected by acetone,   I use the finest steel wool, which is a 4 ought or usually marked on the bag Grade OOOO, lightly dipped in acetone, and wearing nitrile vinyl gloves,   rubbing lightly and repeatedly till the CA is worn off.      I use for work all the time the OOOO grade steel wool for polishing wood, plastic, and some metals either as a final finish or as a tarnish or stain remover with the help of a cleaner or solvent as a lubricant,  somewhat similar to honing a blade with a little water or metal polish.          The gloves I wear only because after 30 years of solvent use my skin has lost all of it's natural protective fluids and will develop large cracks with prolonged use of heavy duty stuff like acetone.  Please use it outdoors or in a well ventilated area,  it is very flammable and will melt almost all plastics on contact.   The nitrile gloves are recommended because if you try regular vinyl or latex, it will scare you when they fall apart and distinigrate after a few minutes!!!!!!   Imagine the state of the brains of all the fingernail salon women employees,   this is your brain on drugs!!!!!!    Good luck,    Clinton Moy       Big chunks you can flick off with an edged object as posted before,   and then keep rubbing!

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#14 2008-10-01 23:05:56

mrwuwu

Hi!  Jeff!    Just wanted to add,  in more than thirty years of using acetone I have never seen it harm any kind of natural wood or skin,   but it will instantly remove most or all varnishes and colored stains and finishes on wood,  so David Brown flute people beware!!!!!      Also, if you are the type that religiously rubs their face oils in your flute or uses tea tree oils,  etc.,    the acetone instantly removes all that too,   so you must rerub that area more often after the glue is gone anywhere the acetone touched to regain it's lubricity.    Clint

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#15 2008-10-02 00:04:54

jeff jones
Website

Hi Clint Good to hear from you! Thanks for the info, that eases some concerns!
Thanks again

Beauty is ugly at rest

Board footer