Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-10 11:33:30

mrj156

Hello from San Diego

After lurking for a while I thought it might be nice to introduce myself. I have recently had my first Shakuhachi lesson so I am a complete newbie. I got more out of that one lesson than all my reading, research and self directed practice combined. I play silver and Native American flute, but this instrument is very different. I am looking forward to the journey.
Michele

#2 2008-11-10 14:27:36

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Hello from San Diego

Welcome Michele,

Your introduction is an excellent example of the power of lessons. Thanks for contributing!

Ken

#3 2008-11-10 21:25:26

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Michele, Welcome!
Yes, I always tell people the best way to learn shakuhachi is to sit in front of someone who's sound you find compelling.

Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries,.
Al the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2008-11-11 18:00:43

Yu-Jin

Welcome Michele,
There are several of us in San Diego. Stay in touch and tell us about your progress. It is always great to meet other players.
Eugene

#5 2008-11-11 18:17:36

airin
Website

Hi Michele, nice to meet you here.

I too have only had one lesson and I agree, I learned more in that hour than in weeks of reading and researching on my own.  Can't wait for my next lesson.  I've been practicing diligently for a week and half since the last lesson and have so many questions I want to ask my teacher now.  However, he will be away until December so I've got a while more to work things out on my own before having the pleasure of lesson #2.

Are you getting lessons on a regular basis?  Do you have the time to practice a lot daily?  The shakuhachi is such a engaging instrument, eh?  Every time I set mine down thinking I've finished a practice session, I just want to pick it up again for just a few more minutes of play.  This can go on for another 15 minutes....LOL!

#6 2008-11-11 20:10:25

mrj156

Hi Airin,

I can see my teacher as often or seldom as I feel the need. I think it will be a few weeks because she loaded me up with stuff. I can already get a note our for each hole for two octaves. However, the quality of each sound varies. I think I will spend the next couple of weeks just doing the practice stuff she gave me. When I feel I have a somwehat comfortable hold on what I have been given or feel I have gotten as far as I can with it on my own I will set up another lesson. BTW my teacher is a woman as well.

Michele

#7 2008-11-11 22:30:53

airin
Website

Wow, Michele, sounds like you've got lots to work on and are doing very well with it!  As for myself, I am still working on the first octave!  (Check my blog, click on the 'website' link, for some commentary to my learning, if you have the interest and time.)

Really a female teacher, well that's pretty unusual.  Lots of awesome guys out there teaching but its neat to know your teacher is a woman.

Enjoy practicing on your flute.

cheers,
Erin

#8 2008-11-13 01:50:37

mrj156

Your site is awesome! I can relate to many of the things you posted, though we have the opposite experience with the notes. I can get Ro easily. The more fingers I lift, the more difficult it becomes for me. My bugaboo right now is remembering to keep the the fingers that hold the flute down when I lift the other fingers off the holes. I am used to playing the NA flute, where every finger but the pinky has a hole and now the middle fingers with nothing to do but hold the flute want to rise with the fingers around them. I can get the second octave because I play transverse flutes and the principle is similar. Third octave eludes me, but I am just starting out and have the rest of my life to get there.

I will check your site regularly.

Michele

#9 2008-11-13 11:43:35

airin
Website

Michele, glad to hear that you liked my blog.

Yes, I know what you mean about remembering to keep those two anchor fingers down....I've had that problem a few times too.

Inspired by you, I have decided to start working on the second octave this week.  I have a few basic melodies that I'd like to practice but they require some second octave notes so I'd like to have those at least within my reach soon. 

But as you said, we have the rest of our life to play the flute (thankfully!) so I don't feel hurried either...maybe just a little bit excited.  :=

BTW, I really like your avatar.

Last edited by airin (2008-11-13 11:44:16)

#10 2008-11-13 12:06:09

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Erin, it is a very nice website indeed... It will be a great source for you if you continue.
I wish I had made a diary like that on my progress. I think it would have been great to have something like that when teaching today.
I am right now making a diary on the process of working with composers and the practicing of the pieces.... but I feel that is less exciting.
I hope I can make my website alive as yours too one day. I like the feeling of almost traveling on your journey with you!
Cool!
Keep it coming so we can keep an eye with it! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#11 2008-11-13 13:43:22

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Indeed a nice website, and even more nicely written!
I have started to play the shakuhachi as well, since a month now. So many things you write about sound familiar.
Good luck with the lessons and learning along.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#12 2008-11-13 15:13:32

airin
Website

Thanks for your kind comments about the blog.

I really appreciate knowing your are enjoying taking the journey with me.

For some of you like Kiku, it will bring up memories of your own beginnings with the shakuhachi.  And for others, like Michele and Bas, we have are taking a very similar trip, aren't we?

cheers,
Erin

#13 2008-11-13 16:44:14

Bas Nijenhuis
Website

Yes Airin, I think so too, I didn't expected the effect of playing and having this flute, maybe its the tradition, maybe the sound, maybe zen, I just don't know, but know I like it! And on a different level or way as say my saxophone.

Read more about my shakuhachi adventures at:
Bas' Shakuhachi Blog!

#14 2008-11-13 18:40:30

mrj156

Thanks for the kind words on my avatar.
Michele

Board footer