Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-04-29 03:33:21

Michael Howard
Website

Glad to be here!

Hello to you all! My name is Michael Howard and I reside in the beautiful state of Washington. I work in the medical field and I'm also a bamboo flutemaker (Shakuhachi/Transverse) and play a number of instruments. I first fell under the spell of the Shakuhachi listening to Okuda Atsuya and have not been the same since. I'm here to learn, grow and encourage my fellow Shakuhachi lovers and hopefully make some good lasting friendships!

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

www.kolbeflutes.com       http://www.myspace.com/bushidoshakuhachi

#2 2006-04-29 04:29:32

Bogert

Re: Glad to be here!

Welcome fellow Washintonian.  I live down in Olympia for the time being.  Good to see more Washington folks on here, we should make our own shakuhachi convention dealy someday, for the time being though this forum is great.
                                                                                                Chris

理趣経百字の偈
菩薩勝慧者 乃至尽生死 恒作衆生利 而不趣涅槃 般若及方便 智度悉加持 諸法及諸有    一切皆清浄 欲等調世間 令得浄除故 
有頂及悪趣 調伏尽諸有 如蓮体本染 不為垢所染    諸欲性亦然 不染利群生 大欲得清浄 大安楽富饒 三界得自在 能作堅固利

#3 2006-04-29 05:04:05

dstone
Website

And welcome, from a neighbour a couple of hours north of you!

Your state is very beautiful and it sounds like there are lots of shakuhachi practitioners there also.  But please c'mon up and enjoy some of the events the Shakuhachi Society of BC puts on, also.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2006-04-29 13:35:56

kyoreiflutes
Website

I'm in WA as well, over in a little city called Seattle. Not many have heard of it, but it's nice. wink

Hey, what kind of events happen up North? I could always use a trip to BC.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2006-04-29 23:41:01

Michael Howard
Website

It's very nice to meet ya'll! I'm actually a boat ride from Seattle in Pt. Gamble which is right outside of Kingston. Hey, what the heck happened to our beautiful spring weather?????? Cold, rainy????

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

#6 2006-04-30 00:14:08

kyoreiflutes
Website

Kingston, eh? Do you know of the SCA JuneFaire, by chance? It's held up in...ih, dang, I don't know some of the topography here as well as I'd like for outlying areas. I know that you can take the Kingston Ferry almost directly to it; it's in some small town on the water, and it has a cemetary.

I ask because I'm going to be there as a vendor this year with a friend of mine. You should think about stopping by.

Oh, and I don't know WHAT is up with the weather. Pretty typical, though, so we shouldn't be too surprised.

-Eddie
Kyorei Flutes

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2006-04-30 00:26:03)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#7 2006-04-30 00:48:27

Michael Howard
Website

It's actually in my town (Pt. Gamble) http://www.medievalfaire.org/ and I'll stop by. What exactly will you be doing at the fair? http://www.portgamble.com/

Last edited by Kolbeflutes (2006-04-30 00:49:18)

#8 2006-04-30 14:19:21

kyoreiflutes
Website

Yeah, I thought Port Gamble sounded familliar, lol. 

My friend is an arms dealer wink , dealing in better-quality swords and such than the others at the Faire. You know how those guys have kids lined up, flailing crappy stainless steel swords around? Not us. We're the place the kids WANT to shop at, but we won't let them buy stuff without thier parents, and they hate it. lol.

Anyway, I'll be there to help him out, and to try and sell a few flutes. If you come by make sure to bring some flutes if you want, and we can check each other's stock out. Hmmm, that sounded funny. Oh well. lol.

I'll be the one dressed more or less (I'm guessing less) like an older Komuso. In fact, you'll rarely see a Japanese personna there, unless it's some kid with a Japanese bath kimono, so I shouldn't be too hard to find. The booth is a Viking tent called Windsor Arms.

It's coming up, actually, from June 2-4. I'd come the 3rd, since that's the "public" day, and there's more to see and do. This is probably our last year doing this, since we both have lives. I just don't know how those SCA types can do it full-time. I have things to do!

Hope to see you there. We'll have lunch.

-Eddie
Kyorei Flutes

#9 2006-04-30 21:17:20

Michael Howard
Website

Sounds great Eddie, hmm...wonder if I should buy a sword...any giant swashbuckling pirate swords available? I need one to go with my puffy pirate shirt! Sounds like a good time, I'll be sure and bring some flutes out along with the wife and kids, well...kid really (2 1/2). How long have you been playing Shakuhachi friend?

#10 2006-05-01 03:12:00

kyoreiflutes
Website

Actually, we used to sell this really nice Pirate Cutlass. We still have one, but it belongs to Chris. If he brings it, I'll show it to you. You'd love it. That's actually how I came across the Shakuhachi, via Japanese swords. Chris sells a very nice maker, Paul Chen, and I used to collect his swords. I stopped collecting, though, and decided not to collect weapons anymore; it's just a personal decision. Funny thing, though...I'm probably going to get a very nice Wakizashi from Chris for working the Faire. One little mini sword won't hurt. wink

I started playing about 2+ years ago, but I've never had any lessons. I still tend to play much better alone than in front of people, but I'm working on it.  What about you?

-E

Board footer