Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-30 00:28:57

tedgroszkiewicz

Beginnings in the East Bay Hills

This is my first visit to this forum. I've been a student of Phil Gelp's for a little over a year.

Over the past 20 years I've made many a transverse bamboo flute. About 4 Years ago I began making Native American flutes and quickly learned that I liked bamboo much more than wood. I had read about Shakuhachi and after hearing a perfomance as part of a Taiko group I thought I would try my hand at making one. I can see you are smiling. It didn't take long to learn that I had a lot to learn.

Serendipity brought a prospective employee to my office for a job interview. He remarked about the Shakuhachi on my desk, and I learned about the Bay Area Shakuhachi School. I started taking lessons, still am and probably will until I leave the Bay area or my teacher does.

Yep, on with the story. I still putter at making Shakuhachi. After about a hundred sticks in the burn bucket they started being almost playable. After about 125 I started giving a few to friends. And now I have 3 that are passable fair to play (a 1.2 that Yoshio liked when he played it, a 1.6 that I stuff in my pack for hikes in the Rockies, and a 2.3 that is just too big for my hands, but it sounds like a sea cave).

I bought a Tom Deaver 1.8 (#314), and that is the flute I am using for lessons and practice. I would like to buy the John Neptune 1.8 I am auditioning now, but I'd need to sell the Tom Deaver flute. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of Tom's flute, and it's sweet to play. I hurt my hands last year Bicycling too much and need a smaller, lighter flute - the John Neptune flute fills that bill nicely.

Last edited by tedgroszkiewicz (2005-10-30 00:33:26)

Board footer