Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-31 14:22:18

bluespiderweb

Hello to my new friends!

Hello people,

My name is Barry, and I'm from Lansdale, PA USA, (a suburb of Philadelphia in Southeastern PA).  Thanks to Perry Yung, I found you all yesterday, and registered right away.  I hope to be joining you and learning all things Shakuhachi, and more, once I get a flute from Perry to play.  Actually I've already started learning, just from reading some of the posts here.  Thank you.

I have diverse musical tastes, as I'm sure many of you do also.  I most recently have been playing Irish keyless flute and Low whistle, and have played acoustic guitar for over 30 years off and on (yes, I'm an oldie too-will be 52 shortly! and sometimes feel much older).  I also play some fiddle and dobro (or slide guitar).

I love many different types of music, including Celtic, Hawaiian Slack Key and Steel guitar, Bluegrass, Old Time, Classical, Blues slide guitar,  Old Latin American Trios, music of the Oud (Middle Eastern predecessor to the lute), Bagpipes, Cello, Viola, Mandolin, Guqin and Xiou, among others, and of course, the Shakuhachi.

One thing that intrigues me are the different styles of the Shakuhachi music, and what I know least about.  I think I need a book, like someone mentioned: "The Shakuhachi: a Manual for Learning" by Christopher Yohmei Blasdel And Yuko Kamisango; which seems to be fairly costly even if you find it used somewhere.  I will look for references to other good books in the forum also.

Thank you to the creators of this new forum, and for all of you who contribute to it to make it what it is.  It's very nice to be here!

Last edited by bluespiderweb (2005-11-13 08:08:29)

Be well,  Barry

Board footer