Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-08 11:44:12

Lackadaisically

'ello

Greetings from Long Island, NY.. My names Bryan, I'm 23 years old, and I'm currently working in the Nut import industry. (Certainly not my passion...)

I came across the shakuhachi after being miserable for a few days at my previous job... surfing wikipedia on Japanese culture, geography... I was tempted to take my savings and start a new life. One spent wandering tiny villages and islands... really idealistic. I realized my dream wasn't too feasible at the time... I decided against the move. At the same time, I also wanted to introduce an instrument into my life... I felt it would give me discipline, focus, and peace.

And after discovering the shakuhachi, reading its history and its muscial qualities... I felt it suited me perfectly. I consider myself a casual Taoist, and always enjoyed obscure practices... Shakuhachi not being a very prominent instrument here in the states...

Today I practice very casually, having played on and off for about 6 months. I find it very peaceful, and I'm glad that I don't put too much pressure on myself to be a 'great' player. The shakuhachi, in my opinion, provides a very relaxed learning experience, and sounding great isn't necessarily playing great. Playing great is just itself... enjoy the playtime.

#2 2009-01-08 12:18:11

edosan
Edomologist

Re: 'ello

Welcome to the forum, Bryan.

Lots of gentle people here to put the pressure on you when you are ready smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-01-13 05:08:52

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Re: 'ello

Hi Bryan
Welcome.
What have you been playing? I mean, what music, with your shakuhachi?

Best wishes
Justin
http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Board footer