Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-13 12:17:46

Taldaran

Greetings from Washington state, USA.

Hello All!

My name is Christopher, and I live in Everett Washington. I am a youth counselor and case manager, and play guitar during the weekends. A few months ago I started playing penny whistles and recorders to exercise other musical parts of my brain. I have always loved the sound of shakuhachi, but never saw one nor ever tried one, and visited the navaching website and decided to make some out of PVC. Every one I made turned out quite well, but I had to figure out how to play them. Luckily there is a wealth of knowledge online and learned some of the basics.

Over the last couple of months I have bought a Zen-on wooden student model and a bamboo 1.8 from a nice lady who unfortunately gave up on it. Love the tone (way better than wood and PVC!) but it had issues,(flat ro-I widened the end of the bore, holes were too small+ not round, and I also undercut the holes a bit and also repaired the utaguchi) that with the help of the members information on this website, I am tweaking it and it is getting better. I find it hard to put it down!

I have ordered another one on line with no bindidngs, and will bind it myself.

All in all, I am bordering on an obsession with this wonderful expressive instrument!

I am looking forward to making your acquaintance and learning so much from you all!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#2 2009-01-13 20:50:36

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: Greetings from Washington state, USA.

Greetings Taldaran,  glad to have you aboard!

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

Board footer