Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-11-09 22:52:44

captainfez

Hello from Sydney.

Hi there everybody;

I'm a shakuhachi neophyte from Sydney, Australia. I've been eyeing off the shakuhachi for a while, but have only just received my Yuu in the mail, and thus have only just begun. (My mindset was much like when I started learning guitar: there's little point in having something like a Gibson until you can play tolerably! Hence, the Yuu.)

So, I expect I'll be a little quiet here for a while as I come to grips with the instrument, and work on the meditative side of things. I'm really looking forward to that unfolding.

I also learn taiko with members of TaikOz in their community classes, so I'm hoping that my explorations of shakuhachi will fit nicely in with that part of my life.

Anyway. Hello!

#2 2008-11-10 09:13:22

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Hello from Sydney.

Hey Captian Fez, Welcome to the Forum!
I own a 1973 Gibson Custom Les Paul and, until recently, the Convertible Dan Electro. I love them both.

Enjoy the process and looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.
All the best, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2008-11-10 11:32:10

edosan
Edomologist

captainfez wrote:

Hi there everybody;

I'm a shakuhachi neophyte from Sydney, Australia. I've been eyeing off the shakuhachi for a while, but have only just received my Yuu in the mail, and thus have only just begun. (My mindset was much like when I started learning guitar: there's little point in having something like a Gibson until you can play tolerably! Hence, the Yuu.)

So, I expect I'll be a little quiet here for a while as I come to grips with the instrument, and work on the meditative side of things. I'm really looking forward to that unfolding.

I also learn taiko with members of TaikOz in their community classes, so I'm hoping that my explorations of shakuhachi will fit nicely in with that part of my life.

Anyway. Hello!

Welcome, Cap'n Fez!

You should get with Riley Lee (lives in Manly), for a coupla lessons to get you started. He's in and out of town quite a bit, but he'll do you right. He's also a member of the pro TaikOz outfit. Excellent fella, and he can play fairly well, too.

riley{at}rileylee.net

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#4 2008-11-10 23:15:37

captainfez

Yungflutes: Ooh, Danelectro! I am envious. I've a couple of guitars, but I'm more interested in my amp - currently being "sympathetically" restored is a 1960s Burns Orbit III. *Anything* played through that should sound good.

Edosan: I've seen Riley play a couple of times (it's great seeing him on taiko too, given his Ondekoza background - he makes yataibayashi look particularly effortless) and am planning on having some lessons with him when I at least had a bit of exploration myself.

It's funny you mention it - I read a piece on his site about keeping momentum in studies when I was considering taking up the shakuhachi (link here) and found that it had a lot of resonance with a rough patch I was having with taiko study, too. Great guy (in the limited contact I've had with him) and I will certainly seek out his advice and tutelage when I have my head around even having a shakuhachi in the first place!

Thanks for the comments, all. Long path ahead!

#5 2009-01-20 16:54:21

Nicholas

Hi Captain Fez

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Shakuhachi. I am a long-term student of Riley Lee (12 years) and also teach shakuhachi in his lineage (Chikuho Honkyoku). Riley will be teaching in the US until September 09 so won't be around for a while. I also live in Sydney so if you feel like a lesson anytime give me a yell.

I also play the guitar and have, among others, a 1961 Gibson ES355 - my prize and joy. It sounds great through my 1961 Fender Tremlolux amp but it is long overdue for some electrical reconditioning - where are you getting your amp resored?

#6 2011-02-18 02:06:20

captainfez

Gosh, it's been a while! Thought I'd check in though - I've FINALLY been able to put shakuhachi higher up my list of priorities and have been able to figure out how to make sounds. I had a couple of lessons at the recent TaikOz intensive and it brought about a breakthrough for me.

Kevin Man took the sessions Riley was going to do (but understandably wasn't able to take) and something sort of clicked on in my head. Kevin was VERY helpful with the elements that had frustrated me!

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/179665_10150092721304939_308330609938_6194451_5440862_n.jpg

- a lot of new converts!

So I'm back on track, on board and trying to rehearse more regularly. It's difficult, but it feels really rewarding.

Nicholas, my amp is being restored by a bloke in Wollongong, a couple of hours away. He's almost done on it, too - good job that I've been busy trying to make flute sounds...

#7 2011-02-18 08:56:06

J Ross
Website

Greetings and welcome!!!

#8 2011-02-18 09:08:07

Jam

Good stuff, keep it up smile

#9 2011-02-18 21:21:07

Kent K

Hey Cap'n I just got my Yuu the other day. Just joined the forum too. I guess we are kinda in the same boat on different sides of the planet. The Yuu sounds really good to me sofar. Just working on long notes right now..My cats seem to like the sound.

Action is the foundational key to all success.
Pablo Picasso

#10 2011-02-22 23:00:22

captainfez

Thanks for the kind notes. I'm probably not much of a poster here as yet (I have a lot to learn before I can speak on some things!) but I am reading, and I do appreciate the comments.

I figure the practice I'm doing can't be too bad - I haven't had any complaints from my partner, yet... ha. Am still working on the very basics, trying to improve and make things seem a little more natural (is that I or E, and how do I stop this damn breathy sound? What the hell is this symbol? Ah, elbow cramp...) but am trying to approach it a bit philosophically: it just ain't gonna happen in a week, after all.

#11 2011-02-23 04:29:54

Jam

captainfez wrote:

(I have a lot to learn before I can speak on some things!).

That doesn't stop a lot of people on here!

Last edited by Jam (2011-02-23 04:30:11)

Board footer