Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-20 01:58:54

Jason Castner

seeking teacher in binghamton, ny

I moved to Binghamton and start school as a junior at Suny Binghamton on the 26th of January 2009.  I will be studying Japanese language and culture as well as international business.  I would love to hear from sombody willing to teach me songs on the shakuhachi.  I would also love to hear from anyone in the area that likes to play regardless of skill level.

Thanks,'
Jason

north south east and rest of my life...I'm single but the Tao is my wife?

#2 2009-01-29 18:31:05

Austin Shadduck
Website

Re: seeking teacher in binghamton, ny

Hey Jason,

I lived in Binghamton for quite a while myself. I don't know of any shakuhachi players nearby (Rochester's a bit far for steady lessons) but there is something of a world music scene. Ask around at the music department, maybe talk to Mike Carbone? He's a sax player but he'll know a lot about what's going on the area. I just discovered this: http://www.notbongos.com/. I know you're not looking for African drumming but if you contact the business you might hear about performers at festivals that the drummers have been in contact with. Robert Weinberger, another sax player and flute doubler, used to play in a band (maybe still does?) called Unity Group, which played jazz and used many unusual instruments, so it's possible that he might know something of the shakuhachi as well.

I hope this helps!

“His first, last and only formal instruction for me was embodied in one word: observe.” -Billy Strayhorn on Duke Ellington

Board footer