Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-01-21 23:10:33

geminishadow79

hello all

Hi, my name is Donna, and I live in the frozen northeast corner of the united states...also known as maine.  I"ve only just recently learned about shakuhachi and have never actually seen one in person, but like other instruments I have enjoyed listening to, I feel the need to play it myself.  I suppose the first step is to actually puchase one.  I just contacted Phil Nyokai James about lessons.  I'm pretty excited about starting this new journey.  I've really enjoyed reading through the forums so far, and feel I've already learned some very important tips.  Anyway, just introducing myself...... smile

#2 2009-01-22 09:23:52

MikeL

Re: hello all

Welcome Donna. I sometimes get up to the workshops in Portland,
so might end up seeing you at one some time. Good luck with shakuhachi.
I hope that you're able to find an instrument soon.

- Mike

#3 2009-01-22 09:39:39

jaybeemusic

I've taken a few lessons with Phil and he is really great.  Very patient....   

Welcome to the world of the shakuhachi........ aka  "The Rabbit Hole".......  you keep getting further and further down into it and it never seems to
end.   LOL

Not that you'd want it to...   

Welcome aboard...

If you're looking at getting a shakuhachi the best options would be either a Shakuhachi Yuu.... (plastic, but it plays really well)  or contact Perry Yung or Ken Lacosse (they're modertators here and shakuhachi makers)  and they'll set you up with something.  They're both very generous with their knowledge and just great guys. 

Happy blowing...

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#4 2009-01-22 11:26:37

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Welcome to the forum Donna. I would suggest just talking to Phil about getting a flute if you are going to study with him. This will ensure you get something he feels comfortable about being in your hands. He'll carry most of the responsibility for overseeing your experience with shakuhachi. This is an opportunity to begin to develop that relationship with your teacher that is to be THE biggest part of your shakuhachi experience for a while.

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#5 2009-01-22 19:48:46

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Hi Donna and welcome.  I completely agree with Michael that you should trust Phil to help you find a suitable flute for you and for the type of music that he intends to teach you.  There are plenty of resources to buy flutes of every variety in the Buy/Sell/Trade part of the forum and pretty much all of them are reliable.  Certainly, there are many knowledgeable folks here who are more than will to help you with any question you may have.  I wish you well on your journey.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#6 2009-01-22 20:39:13

geminishadow79

Thank you all, I have to say after reading through alot of the post, I feel very intimadated!  Its a good thing phil is patient, he'll probly need it with me!  I'm so excited to get started!

#7 2009-01-31 07:33:24

james_4114

Hi hello to all... Im james im new to the site.... and looking to learn more and more about shakuhachi and looking to learn more information about it....I like to play musical instrument like guitars, drums etc... I hope i can be friends with all of you...
im looking forward for a great sharing of thoughts in this site.. thanks

Last edited by james_4114 (2009-01-31 07:33:57)

#8 2009-01-31 09:49:19

Bruce Hunter

Hi James!

You came to the right place. There are a great number of good people here, makers, teachers, players, and others just getting started. Don't feel intimidated or bashful, there are lots of people in the woodwork just waiting for someone to ask questions, and to encourage newcomers to the forum and welcome them to the world of shakuhachi.

later...

Develop infallible technique and then lay yourself at the mercy of inspiration. - Anon.

Board footer