World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-19 01:36:51

axolotl
Website

It's cherry blossom time in Japan

How's it looking over there?

One of these days I need to get back to D.C. for cherry blossom time.  It's lovely.

#2 2009-04-19 10:16:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: It's cherry blossom time in Japan

I'm in Baltimore right now and I practice on my sister in law's back porch overlooking a blossoming cherry tree. Makes me play "Sakura".

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-04-19 10:23:18

jaybeemusic

It sucks here in New Brunswick.... not a cherry tree to be seen.  I was in Vancouver 2 years ago in the spring and it was marvelous  (one of the only things i remember about the trip). 

Maybe i should plant one and see what happens.   Any idea of the species of cherry tree that's the most popular in japan?

jacques

It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people "think" that you're stupid, than to open it, and remove all doubt.

#4 2009-04-19 21:56:45

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Believe it or not, there are a few Cherry Blossom trees here South of Harlem...and they are blossoming!

I was so taken by the beauty of Sakura during my residency in Japan that I created a character called Sakura Man for a couple of performances in Tokyo.

We spent a lot of time partaking in Hanami. Some avenues, and many neighborhoods, literally turned pink from the blossoms.  It's one of my indelible images of Japan.
Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2009-04-21 08:33:33

purehappiness

I have a prunus ume (flowering plum ) in my yard. It hasn't had any flowers yet but they are starting to open. Time to try and play sakura. Notice I said try. sad

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#6 2009-04-21 14:40:27

axolotl
Website

I think trying is just fine, purehappiness.  The tree won't mind.  I played "Sakura" a while back when I was learning it, in a Japanese cemetery in Maui.  The audience didn't complain!

The cherry trees in LA have been flowering, but it's not quite the same--they are scattered and some are actually that, hrm, whatever it is, oriental plum, or maybe some other type of cherry, with reddish leaves and flowers.  Very nice, but not as dreamy as Japanese cherry trees. 

...a Google Image search for 'oriental plum' led me to the dvojanka, a Serbian/Macedonian double flute.  What comes around goes around, I suppose!  smile

#7 2009-04-21 15:46:51

purehappiness

I had a beautiful japanese flowering cherry where I used to live. I should plant another. What a way to celebrate spring.smile I don't remember the name of its species but you can find them all over in the nurseries around here(new england).It had beautiful pink blossoms.

Last edited by purehappiness (2009-04-21 15:48:39)

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#8 2009-04-21 18:13:14

Taldaran

Everything is in bloom in the pacific northwest!

Cherry and plum, azaleas are starting to come out. Rhodies won't be too far behind!

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#9 2009-04-21 19:46:01

geminishadow79

Tairaku wrote:

I'm in Baltimore right now and I practice on my sister in law's back porch overlooking a blossoming cherry tree. Makes me play "Sakura".

I"ll be passing through baltimore next week, I never thought about the cherry trees being in bloom, I'll have to add "check out cherry blossoms" to my list of things to do!

#10 2009-04-21 20:43:17

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Here in south-west Japan, all of the fruit trees have finished blooming.  Worth note is how the Sakura and Asian Pears bloomed at pretty much the same time (they're usually 2 to 3 weeks apart.)  I haven't seen that happen in the 24 years that I've been here, though I anticipate more, sadly.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#11 2009-04-22 06:00:31

purehappiness

Unfortunately, global warming is changing things. Hopefully, we can get things under control.

Lieh-tzu

#12 2009-04-22 18:28:16

axolotl
Website

purehappiness wrote:

Unfortunately, global warming is changing things. Hopefully, we can get things under control.

Amen to that, on this here Earth Day.  It's good to have a President who sees this as a priority and an EPA that finally acknowledges CO2 as a pollutant. 

The cherry blossoms have been off for a while now, as have the leaf-peeping times in the American Northeast.  We probably can't reign them back in to where they used to be, season-wise, but we can take steps to stop further destruction.

Board footer