World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-06-01 14:44:51

Kohl
Website

From Brooklyn

Hello Everyone

My name is Kohl 'Seiho' Sudduth. 'Seiho' is a dharma name given to me by my Zen teacher, John Daido Loori, upon receiving jukai in the Mountains and Rivers Order. It's eight years of Zen training (in monastic residence and as a lay practitioner) that led me to study the shakuhachi.

Last summer, I participated in a one day workshop with Ronnie 'Nyogetsu' Seldin at Zen Center of New York City, experienced the sound of the bamboo. Deeply smitten. I played clarinet for much of my early life before playing guitar and singing/screaming in post-punk bands in college (sounded like Fugazi, et al.). As much has changed from the days of 5 dollar basement hardcore shows, I'd thought the instrument playing part of my life was over. Fortunately, I've been proven wrong. To say I'm grateful to have been found by an instrument that correlates so directly with Zen training grossly understates the experience. Nonetheless, grateful for sure.

Equally gratified to learn of a fine teacher a short walk from my apartment. I began lessons with James 'Nyoraku' Schlefer, with whom I've studied regularly for a year. Though much the beginner, I trust with diligent practice, the process will continue to reveal itself.

I've learned much from reading in these threads over the last several months. I appreciate all who contribute and put themselves out there. Additionally, thank you to those who facilitate this forum, generously offering their time and effort, and making this valuable resource/community available.

Thank you.
Kohl

Last edited by Kohl (2009-08-05 22:58:41)

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

#2 2009-06-01 15:22:16

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: From Brooklyn

Welcome to the forum and glad to see the old dojo is still recruiting new and interesting members!

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2009-06-02 16:06:51

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hey Kohl, Great to have another actor here!
Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2009-06-03 10:04:54

Kohl
Website

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Very cool.

Additionally, thanks for the excellent flutemaking workshop last month Perry. While the flute's still raw and at it's beginning stages (not unlike my playing), I look forward to refining it with you as my playing improves. I really loved experiencing the transformation from raw bamboo to functional flute in just a few hours. Your teaching/guiding proved indispensable. Thanks.

Regards,
Kohl

"I begin to feel the depths of a bamboo path..."
                              Meng Hao-Jan (689-740)

#5 2009-06-03 16:35:14

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

It was a pleasure to have you Kohl! You displayed a great ability to focus, which a very necessary ingredient for shakuhachi making.

I'll be happy to look at your flute when you're ready.
namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer