Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-04-30 14:27:31

purehappiness

suggestions for lacquer

I have been messing around with some flutes and was wondering what would be a good substitute for urushi in america.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#2 2009-04-30 20:19:25

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Re: suggestions for lacquer

KTM9 Self-Crosslink Clear Coat (Grafted Coating Inc.  800-477-4437), a water-based clear coat works very well.  It doesn't cause any irritation.  It has virtually no smell.  It dries to the touch in about 20 minutes with no special curing requirements.  It also mixes very well with pigment  from Luthiers Mercantile International (www.lmii.com).  It's not suitable for use with 'ji' though.  Being water-based, brushes wash up with soap and water.  It also dries hard with little degradation due to moisture contact after curing.  There have been no long term tests to date with it, but flutes I have with it in the bore are holding up well.
Some people use Cashew, but it has a lingering smell that is bothersome to many.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#3 2009-05-01 14:06:10

purehappiness

Thanks. I may just pick up something from meijiro or japanese wood worker. I think they carry cashew or urushi. If I go thru with it.

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#4 2009-05-01 15:46:09

Taldaran

Thanks, Jeff!

I have been experimenting with different finishes, pure tung oil (smells like bacon!) tung oil finish(varnish, not bacony, but odd smell none the less) wipe on polyurethane (scrapes off easily).

I was also looking at some water based laquers (can also pigment them)from stewmac, but your suggestion I will follow up on! Did you apply the finish yourself?

Last edited by Taldaran (2009-05-01 15:47:27)

Christopher

“Whoever can see through all fear will always be safe.” Tao Te Ching

#5 2009-05-02 05:34:16

Jeff Cairns
teacher, performer,promoter of shakuhachi
Website

Yes, I've used the finish as have others I know with great success...and no itching.

shakuhachi flute
I step out into the wind
with holes in my bones

#6 2009-05-02 09:28:47

edosan
Edomologist

Jeff Cairns wrote:

KTM9 Self-Crosslink Clear Coat (Grafted Coating Inc.  800-477-4437), a water-based clear coat works very well.  It doesn't cause any irritation.  It has virtually no smell.  It dries to the touch in about 20 minutes with no special curing requirements.  It also mixes very well with pigment  from Luthiers Mercantile International (www.lmii.com).  It's not suitable for use with 'ji' though.  Being water-based, brushes wash up with soap and water.  It also dries hard with little degradation due to moisture contact after curing.  There have been no long term tests to date with it, but flutes I have with it in the bore are holding up well.
Some people use Cashew, but it has a lingering smell that is bothersome to many.

A similar formulation, by Minwax, is also available: Polycrylic. A water based acrylic/urethane that comes in satin, semi-gloss and gloss finishes. It's available at Home Depot and Lowes, and is somewhat cheaper than KTM9, 15-17 bucks per quart. I have used it extensively for furniture and trim finishing, and it's quite a tough finish; fast-drying and easy to apply (strain it and do NOT shake it for best results). Worth trying, I think.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#7 2009-05-02 09:39:38

purehappiness

I guess the real question is what can you use that won't hurt you. Since you most likely will be breathing in fumes of some sort or the other too. Perhaps, urushi or cashew are the only viable products to use. For safety reasons that is. It is a tough call.

Lieh-tzu

#8 2009-05-02 22:27:12

edosan
Edomologist

purehappiness wrote:

I guess the real question is what can you use that won't hurt you. Since you most likely will be breathing in fumes of some sort or the other too. Perhaps, urushi or cashew are the only viable products to use. For safety reasons that is. It is a tough call.

The water based stuff won't hurt you after it is well cured (24-48 hours, even though it's dry to the touch well before that). Inhalation of the volatile drying agents is not recommended, however.

Last edited by edosan (2009-05-02 22:27:35)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#9 2009-06-23 16:41:03

PSmith

I went looking for KTM9 but the local hardware store did not carry it.  They did have another water-based finish called Saman.  The company is promoting it as non-toxic.  Well I tried it and after two months of use, I am very pleased with it.  The moisture from my breath now beads up nicely and no longer soaks into the bamboo.  It does mean that I now have to towel out my hocchiku when before I didn't have to.

https://ssl.sogetel.net/aquashine/images_anglais/produits/saman/saman_fini_clair.jpg

https://ssl.sogetel.net/aquashine/boutique_en/saman.asp

Board footer