Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2008-12-12 19:09:43

rob+kat

earliest 2 piece shakuhachi?

Hello,
At what point in the history of shakuhachi did makers get into 2 piece pipes as opposed to the nobe thing? Also, what is the Japanese term for the 2 piece type (as opposed to the nobe thing) ?
ty,
rob

#2 2009-06-29 05:34:22

Jason Castner

Re: earliest 2 piece shakuhachi?

rob+kat wrote:

Hello,
At what point in the history of shakuhachi did makers get into 2 piece pipes as opposed to the nobe thing? Also, what is the Japanese term for the 2 piece type (as opposed to the nobe thing) ?
ty,
rob

I read that they were forced to make them 2 piece as one piece was made illegal by decree of the big scam artist, the emperor, who spoke as if he was god and was believed to be god by the commoners.. The emperor at the time was afraid for his life and didnt want the chance a weapon would be around him and since he liked to listen to shakuhachi which are great weapons...So after WW2 all shakuhachi should be made in one piece except for history buffs that cherish the history if the 2 piece, since the emperor spoke with a human voice on the radio and siad "we have lost the war"...  Really I wouldnt care if the art of making a two or more piece shakuhachi became lost and faded from existence.  although I have heard that an unsutable piece of bamboo for flute making can be made into a sutable flute by cutting it and adding another piece of bamboo...thus 2 sections that have 7 or 8 nodes in the right length for the flute to be acceptable.  Personally it sounds silly to me... I dont care how many nodes a flute has as long as it sounds nice. 

But im nuts dont listen to me

north south east and rest of my life...I'm single but the Tao is my wife?

#3 2009-06-29 05:36:31

Jason Castner

actually i am curious, how many pros prefer jointed flutes and how many prefer one strong flute with no joints?  and y

#4 2009-06-29 05:45:00

Jason Castner

Jason Castner aka Komuso wrote:

rob+kat wrote:

Hello,
ty,
rob

I read that they were forced to make them 2 piece as one piece was made illegal by decree of the big scam artist, the emperor, who spoke as if he was god and was believed to be god by the commoners.. The emperor at the time was afraid for his life and didnt want the chance a weapon would be around him and since he liked to listen to shakuhachi which are great weapons...So after WW2 all shakuhachi should be made in one piece except for history buffs that cherish the history if the 2 piece, since the emperor spoke with a human voice on the radio and siad "we have lost the war"...  Really I wouldnt care if the art of making a two or more piece shakuhachi became lost and faded from existence.  although I have heard that an unsutable piece of bamboo for flute making can be made into a sutable flute by cutting it and adding another piece of bamboo...thus 2 sections that have 7 or 8 nodes in the right length for the flute to be acceptable.  Personally it sounds silly to me... I dont care how many nodes a flute has as long as it sounds nice. 

But im nuts dont listen to me

dont quote me on any of this...I left alot of gaps in history from the first 2 piece shakuhachi a long time before WW2...I just wanted to get the ball rollin

#5 2009-06-29 06:32:59

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Hi Jason,
I'm nearly certain that the reason the shakuhachi was made in two parts was due to advancements in instrument making.  Every shakuhachi maker that I have worked with in Japan pretty much agreed that making a flute in two parts makes it easier to adjust the length and apply Ji paste into the bore. In my own experience, I have found this to be true. It is much much easier to apply plaster into two short pieces as opposed to one longer tube.

Be well.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

Board footer