Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-08-26 16:53:01

Openheart

Openheart from High Springs, Florida

Hello all, 
Just the particulars’ - I have been playing for many many years -but have had no formal instruction.
I have several types of cane and bamboo flutes - But for meditation I prefer the Jinashi of 2.2 or longer -the lower ro's are more in tune with me.
I find that playing either deep in the woods or on a secluded section of the river is the most rewarding and peaceful. 
I recently found that I want to become much better educated about playing and understanding the history of the shakuhachi. So feel free to help me out.  Right now I am trying to learn how to read the music scores in "how to play the shakuhachi flute" a daunting but not overwhelming task because my mind keeps wanting to "just play" and not follow the score -

I play shakuhachi to practice breath control/breathing meditation -and as such sometimes the free form and colorful sounds my flute and I create seem to come from somewhere else -but I believe thats because I cease to exist, "my" consciousness goes somewhere else where the flute and the body are far behind.

Good to meet you all -

O

Change, I am. Impermanence, I am. I am impermanently changed -Praise to awakening!

#2 2009-08-26 17:20:15

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Openheart from High Springs, Florida

Welcome, Openheart!
What a great name!
Good luck with the project.
There seem to be quite some shakuhachi players in Florida... very nice!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2009-08-26 21:00:39

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Welcome Openheart.

Making the leap to traditional study can be tough. But, stick it out and you will reap rewards beyond your wildest expectations.

Please do let us know of your discoveries.

Namaste, Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#4 2009-08-26 21:57:45

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Welcome to the forum Openheart, and gambatte with the practice.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2009-08-27 08:32:15

Openheart

Thank you all for the encouragement. I will certainly follow your guidance.
Namaste  to you all.
More posts as I progress -

O

Change, I am. Impermanence, I am. I am impermanently changed -Praise to awakening!

#6 2009-08-27 10:05:00

BrianP
Website

Hi Openheart.  I am not far away from you.  I organized a shakuhachi camp by Gainesville with Michael Chikuzen Gould in October.  You can find details about it at http://www.floridashakuhachi.com .  There are still a couple of spots open and the group right now is at the same point in their learning journey as you are.  I think it would help if you are interested and you would fit right in.  Please feel free to contact me off the forum through my email or phone.  Both are on the website.  If you can't make it I would still love to get together to play sometime.  Welcome to the forum.

Brian

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#7 2009-09-03 11:31:16

Openheart

Thanks all for the encouragement -and a BIG thanks to Ed for sending me all the learning aids - DOmo, Domo arigato, A formal bow to you sir.

My most recent surprise was that I have gotten so much right all these years on my own -just by "feeling" the flute I was playing. Each one has its own personality and they sometimes get picky stubborn. 
That said -I also had no Idea how much I had not realized and never would have without formal direction and learning aids.
Bamboo teaches humility in all its applications.

Thanks again friends
Appreciatively,
O

Board footer