Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-12 09:10:20

Openheart

Florida Shakuhachi camp

I can’t begin to express the amount of information presented by Michael Chikuzen Gould at the Florida Shakuhachi Camp. So I will just say that it was awesome and far more than I had hoped for. The camp structure was casual and relaxed and Very conducive to learning. The limited number of students allowed an almost one on one teaching environment. This provided continual opportunities for each student to ask questions about his or her playing issues and hurdles and yet not pull the whole class away from the educational progression. We followed a regimen of see –it, hear- it , play- it as Michael walked us through the subtle nuances of dai kan , meri and keri, ro, or kan no ro and i, ichi san no u ... and the vast array of Kanji notations - all while expressing the importance of a loose neck and proper posture. And that was in the first two hours. Many of us had “Wow-YA!” moments as we learned how to move our breath, hands and heads. This class was a group of beginner and intermediate players that all had their own sticking points and hang ups. I found that although I have “noodled” for many years I have just scratched the range of my flute and hopefully my ability. At the end of the second day I was totally saturated with terms , sounds and I think I even had a few h-allucinations of Kanji floating in my drink at lunch.
Please join me in congratulating Brian Purdy for making this an awesome camp. He was not only a gracious host but he went out of his way to help those of us who fell behind and he even coordinated a larger and cooler class space when all the hot air we were producing made our training room a little warm. THANKS BRIAN.   Let me not forget to praise Michael Gould for his patience, good nature and sense of humor. Working with Michael has made me reset my goals as a musician and his encouragement and training was an immeasurable boost to my playing and will be for some time to come.   

I can only hope that this will become an annual event.

O

Change, I am. Impermanence, I am. I am impermanently changed -Praise to awakening!

#2 2009-10-12 12:57:36

airin
Website

Re: Florida Shakuhachi camp

Wow, that sounds like it was a really fantastic learning experience.  And it does really make me wish I was there!  (Rather long ways from here on the west coast though.)

I can only imagine how an opportunity like the shakuhachi camp could propel your learning forward and help inspire practice for weeks to come.

#3 2009-10-12 14:44:42

PSTL

The camp was excellent! I really enjoyed meeting everyone and sharing time. What a great group of people. Thank you Brian for all your work putting the event together and thanks to your wife for preparing a feast. Well done! I second everything that Openheart has submitted. Thank you Michael Chikuzen Gould. You are a gifted instructor. I can't wait to do it all again in the Spring.

Namaste.
PSTL

#4 2009-10-12 16:45:17

BrianP
Website

Thanks guys!  You all made it very worth it.  We will have the next camp February 19-21 2010.  PTSL has already signed up.  I will make an announcement soon and once again you all did a great job.  It was great to see all the ah-ha moments and hear everyones sound coming together.  I got a lot from it too.  See you guys soon and thanks!

Brian

The Florida Shakuhachi Camp
http://www.floridashakuhachi.com
Brian's Shakuhachi Blog
http://gaijinkomuso.blogspot.com

#5 2009-10-13 10:52:27

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

Thanks to everyone for making the camp what it was. And a special thanks to Brian Purdy for all his work organizing, transporting people to and from the airport, running errands every where and not being grumpy when awakened in the middle of the night to practice guard duty, even though the alligators did stay in the swamp. There was a lot of info given out for beginner's and I appreciate everyone hanging in there maintaining focus so well. I'll send out an overview later today to everyone. Maybe Brian will explain more in his blog about the extra perks including: the food and the people at the Yearling restaurant; Willy Green, who is a wonderful soul playing blues at the restaurant every day; bonfires, "Ocala Ice Tea", sympathetic dentist, air boats, kayaks and alligator rodeo night; and thank god: air conditioners! We will tweak up things to make the next one even more beneficial and enjoyable. If we can just get Clinton and those Japanese snacks to appear? We'll trade alligator jerky!

Last edited by chikuzen (2009-10-13 10:55:37)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#6 2009-10-14 08:49:26

mrwuwu

Wow,  I'm impressed that youse guys can still remember my name!   I've worked so much overtime I will be bringing a live sushi chef to the next camp!       Tell Brian P.   I will do guard duty next Florida camp,  being Chinese you know we will catch and eat anything with four legs,  except the kitchen table.      By the way,  what's he doing so right?   Got's a new car, got's a new house, got's a beautiful talented loving wife,  and actually practices shakuhachi more than once a day?   Got's to give him a big hugyo!

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

#7 2009-10-14 11:51:21

edosan
Edomologist

mrwuwu wrote:

Wow,  I'm impressed that youse guys can still remember my name!

No one forgets the Japanese snacks, nor those what brung 'em...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#8 2009-10-14 12:48:09

BrianP
Website

Clinton, I miss you man!  I hope you can come to the Feb camp.  ust let me know and I will hold a spot.  Sarah brought her boyfriend Sean to the last camp and hs is Chinese.  He took care of guard duty this last time.  You got it next time wink  Thanks for the compliments.  I owe all my shakuhachi success to an inspirational Sensei.  He has kept me going at times when I questioned myself with it.  Hope to see you in FL in Feb!

Brian's Shakuhachi Blog

#9 2009-10-14 17:32:06

BrianP
Website

For a review of the camp please see my blog.  Pics and details there smile

Thanks!

Brian's Shakuhachi Blog

#10 2009-10-14 23:33:40

mrwuwu

Speaking of inspirational Sensei's,  I noticed in the first photo of Brian P.'s blog of Florida camp that behind Chikuzen and to the left is obviously a working crucifix that Sensei is using to flog students who forget notation and have beat fluctuation.

" You know, it's been three years now, maybe a new teacher can help you? ...... " Sensei

Board footer