Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2009-10-24 10:50:19

FtCollins

Hello From Colorado!

Hello everyone.  I'm from Fort Collins, CO.  I've been playing piano and flute for a number of years.  I'm very new to the shakuhachi.  It's a struggle for me at the moment trying to juggle the two embouchres for transverse flute and shakuhachi. 

Do you guys think it's possible to play both kinds of flute well?

I'm currently practicing lots of exercises and tunes like sakura, choshi, and kyorei.  I used to have a nicer bamboo flute made by Monty Levenson but I traded it a few years ago for a celtic harp.  Now all I have is a shakuhachi yuu and I absolutly hate it. 

Anyone else have the Yuu and find it really hard to play?  It is convenient though.  Where I live in Colorado, it's hot most of the time and very dry.  (front range of the rockies)

Well I hope to learn something here from the more experienced players.  I do speak fluent Japanese btw so if anyone is interested in learning the language, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

#2 2009-10-24 12:39:32

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Hello From Colorado!

FtCollins wrote:

Do you guys think it's possible to play both kinds of flute well?

Welcome to the forum, FtCollins.

Here's a thread on that subject which may or may not be of use: http://www.shakuhachiforum.com/viewtopic.php?id=169

You may find more on the subject by typing 'embouchure' into the 'Search' field, and looking into the earlier threads (higher numbered pages).

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2009-10-24 16:50:42

FtCollins

Thank you Edosan.

I was trying the search on the forum but to no luck.  I wanted to see what others thought about the shakuhachi yuu.  When I put those key words in, a number of theads come up, but they seem random. 

I'll have to work on it.  The thread you linked me was interesting.  Thanks.

#4 2009-10-24 19:47:20

edosan
Edomologist

FtCollins wrote:

Thank you Edosan.

I was trying the search on the forum but to no luck.  I wanted to see what others thought about the shakuhachi yuu.  When I put those key words in, a number of theads come up, but they seem random. 

I'll have to work on it.  The thread you linked me was interesting.  Thanks.

They're not random (quite), but they're often a pain to sort through to find anything of use.

The consensus on the Yuu seems to be that it's a good beginner and/or ironclad utility flute, and that it's in tune, properly pitched, and does most of the things a beginner needs a shakuhachi to do at a reasonable price. In the hands of an experienced player, it even sounds pretty good.

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2009-11-09 09:33:34

mrosenlof

A lot of beginners start on a Yuu.  Most graduate to something else, but a lot keep it as a "car flute" (myself included).  For a while, they're all hard to play.

Do you know about David Wheeler teaching (here) in Boulder?  Highly recomended if you can make the drive on occasion.  Even better if you can make the drive regularly.

I keep my bamboo flutes in a plastic storage crate with a glass of water in the corner.  They seem fine in that environment.

Mike Rosenlof

Board footer