Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-14 21:59:37

Tea Drinking Bird

Hello from Montreal!

Hello there

I'm a tea fanatic and I make a lot of weird bird noises as my name suggests.
I'm new to shakuhachi and my first should be delivered tomorrow.
Shakuachi is the sound I have been looking for, for a while. I played b flat clarinet all though high school and still do on the side as well as 6 hole fife. I'm a first year 3d animation and cgi student and I thought that playing the shakuhachi would be a great way to relieve stress through the up coming semester.

#2 2010-01-14 22:41:27

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Re: Hello from Montreal!

Welcome! Shakuhachi is great for stress release, unless you happen to be a shakuhachi performer, maker or repairman! smile

Looking forward to hearing of our discoveries

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#3 2010-01-14 22:42:44

Jam

Welcome to the forum mate!

As for relieving stress, sometimes playing shakuhachi, especially at the beginning, brings its' own fair share of stress.

Good luck with it though smile

I'm curious to see some of your CGI, any links?

#4 2010-01-15 01:24:26

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Welcome to the forum and to the world of shakuhachi.
I'd love to drink tea with you and listen to your sounds whether it is your bird noises or you playing the shakuhachi.
The shakuhachi can make people very frustrated in the beginning as sound production is quite difficult. But if you have the attitude of taking it easy as it is - then it can be relaxing too.
Good luck with it and let us know how it goes! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#5 2010-01-15 02:02:51

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Tea Drinking Bird wrote:

I'm a first year 3d animation and cgi student and I thought that playing the shakuhachi would be a great way to relieve stress through the up coming semester.

Welcome to the Way of Shakuhachi. As my fist teacher said the first 6 months can be a battle of wits until you get to play or just get pissed off and quit. Now as you said Shakuhachi can be a stress reliever,mediation helper etc but once you can make a stable sound before that it will be more of a physical workout than anything else before your body and mind get to assimilate what the flute can do.

Once you have more time a teacher will really be needed IF you want to learn traditional music. If you just like the sound and want to play this is good but do not trick yourself into thinking you are playing Shakuhachi. What you will be doing will be playing WITH a Shakuhachi instead.

Since you are in Montreal you can get in touch with some of the members and get some pointers from them or even better join the group of Nyokai in February when he comes to Montreal to teach.

Anyway welcome and feel free to come and visit us up north if you feel for some tea and a slap smile

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#6 2010-01-15 08:04:57

Lorka

I will take some tea and two slaps please

Gravity is the root of grace

~ Lao Tzu~

#7 2010-01-15 14:33:05

Priapus Le Zen M☮nk
Historical Zen Mod
Website

Lorka wrote:

I will take some tea and two slaps please

Hahaha! Sure no prob but when you come this time we will have tea for sure but I will slap the strings of my Guqin instead this time wink

Sebastien 義真 Cyr
春風館道場 Shunpukan Dojo
St-Jerome, Quebec, Canada
http://www.myspace.com/shunpukandojo

#8 2010-01-15 16:32:59

Lorka

Damn skippy, that sounds good to me

~ Lao Tzu~

#9 2010-01-15 22:09:51

Tea Drinking Bird

Thanks guys,  that's funny and odd, I never thought someone would jump the gun and make an avatar of me before I would.

What was that a barrel of crude oil? What is that written at the bottom?
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5684/1839y.jpg

Yungflutes thanks for the warm welcome. I intend to play shakuhachi as a hobby. In high school I would always shake like a leaf before going on stage.

Thanks Jam, I uploaded more of my work to my deviant art site. I have a higher resolution version of new avatar there too.
http://cherylmcgilton.deviantart.com/

Thanks Kiku Day maybe one day I'll have you over to taste my loose leaf tea collection.

Thanks Gishin I know when I shut my beak before I get on my colleagues nerves, but all animators are truly mad you know?
Thanks for the advice I'm going to start playing casually at first then later I'm sure I will take it more seriously and take lessons.

Hello Lorka nice to meet a fellow jokester.

Unfortunately my shakuhachi didn't come today, maybe monday. I have read a lot of stories about people struggling to make a note with the shakuhachi. Luckily for me I have much more patience with difficult woodwinds than freezing computers.

#10 2010-01-15 23:18:48

Lorka

Don't worry if you suck badly at first, or can't make a sound.  It's all part of the difficult learning process.  When I first got my shakuhachi Yuu, I thought it was broken, and promptly left it on the shelf for several months.  This was before I knew about the forum here. 

Shaman141 and I are both in Montreal alot, so if you need tips (more so from him than me) we can always meet up sometime.

~ Lao Tzu~

#11 2010-01-15 23:24:50

Tea Drinking Bird

How kind thank you very much Lorka.

#12 2010-01-15 23:50:32

edosan
Edomologist

Tea Drinking Bird wrote:

Thanks guys,  that's funny and odd, I never thought someone would jump the gun and make an avatar of me before I would.

One of the admins likes everyone to have an avatar when they come aboard, until they come up with their own smile

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#13 2010-01-16 04:18:59

Jam

I'm tempted to delete my avatar and see what pops up in its' place..

#14 2010-01-16 04:35:04

Jam

Also, I like your stuff on deviant art. What strikes me more than any of them is the "soulful portrait" one. I like that a lot.

If you paint/animate anything shakuhachi related put it up here, I always enjoy seeing that kind of stuff smile

#15 2010-01-16 11:39:13

edosan
Edomologist

Jam wrote:

I'm tempted to delete my avatar and see what pops up in its' place..

Hey, yeah!!! Let's ALL do that!

Give Tairaku something to do...

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#16 2010-01-16 13:56:32

Lorka

I'm afraid to delete my avatar now, in case something even scarier pops up.  As it is, the current one has caused some disturbing dreams.  I grow to like it though

~ Lao Tzu~

#17 2010-01-17 06:18:09

Jam

Hey, The Jam!

Could have been a lot worse!

#18 2010-01-17 07:50:08

waryr

Tea Drinking Bird wrote: "I thought that playing the shakuhachi would be a great way to relieve stress through the up coming semester."

This is so, but only after you become very well acquainted with your main teacher, the bamboo itself! 

Welcome to the School of Bamboo. Long hours of study, constant quizzing and testing, massive amounts of homework, constant refinement of learned technique, and growing periods of introspective analysis required for progression. Longest course you will ever take, but possibly the most rewarding. And.....no expulsion. If you leave the school, it is on your own volition.

Welcome to the forum. Massive amounts of collaterally adjunct and intellectually inane material for study here.

If you understand, things are just as they are, if you don't understand, things are just as they are.

Board footer