Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-01-21 17:57:37

FluteSwordsman

Hello from Davis, California!

Hello, my name is Johann and I am 15 and quite new to the shakuhachi. I'm glad to join a forum like this to discuss this wonderful instrument! I recently (about a year ago) decided to make a PVC model just to see the sound. It is crude but it at least allowed me to try something like this for myself. I have been playing various flutes now for about 5 years; first the Native American Flute, then the Anasazi flute, then the Xiao, and then many other flutes. I am hoping to soon buy and make a real shakuhachi. Besides flutes, I practice Aikido and like to spend time in nature.

Thanks!

#2 2010-01-21 18:21:27

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

Re: Hello from Davis, California!

FluteSwordsman wrote:

Hello, my name is Johann and I am 15 and quite new to the shakuhachi. I'm glad to join a forum like this to discuss this wonderful instrument! I recently (about a year ago) decided to make a PVC model just to see the sound. It is crude but it at least allowed me to try something like this for myself. I have been playing various flutes now for about 5 years; first the Native American Flute, then the Anasazi flute, then the Xiao, and then many other flutes. I am hoping to soon buy and make a real shakuhachi. Besides flutes, I practice Aikido and like to spend time in nature.

Thanks!

Welcome Johann. Thanks for your introduction.

It's always a treat to welcome a younger shakuhachi enthusiast. Shakuhachi is a great discovery at any age but I'm sure there are some among us (including myself) that are just a bit jealous. Looking forward to hear of your shakuhachi adventures!

Ken

#3 2010-01-21 19:12:57

jamesnyman

Ken (mujitsu.com/other.html) makes a very good PVC shakuhachi for $50. The shakuhachi Yuu is another fine instrument that can be purchased from Neil (shakuhachiyuu.com) for $125. I own both and they are fine instruments, suitable for study and far better than I can make myself. If the cost is not within your reach, let us know and I am certain some sort of scholarship can be arranged as we like to encourage young players. I would also suggest Take-no-Michi: the Path of Bamboo from Monty (shakuhachi.com) for $35 as a good beginer's guide (book & CD) in the absence of lessons.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#4 2010-01-22 19:02:46

FluteSwordsman

You guys are so nice. Thanks for the advice Jamesnyman! The price is certainly within my reach with a little bit of saving. But then again, practically the only thing I save up for are flutes!

Mujitsu. Odd that you would say that about being young. Many of the adults at my Native American Flute circle say the same thing. smile

Board footer