Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-08 19:32:41

ArchAngel
Website

Greetings from Georgia

Hey, everyone.   I wanted to drop a few quick lines of introduction.

Recently I have become interested in the shakuhachi.  I opened up a line of communication with Perry Yung to inquire about a flute, and he has provided me with a wealth of information.  Now I'm simply saving up for my first, and it's so hard to wait!  I'd love to immediately jump to a high-end model, but need to take it step by step.

I began playing the Standard Western flute in 6th grade, and still play occasionally today (I'm 35).  I played seriously from 6th until 10th grade, then switched to saxophone.  I dropped the sax in favor of the trombone (went to Florida State with it), but could still play sax if I had a few weeks of practice.  I've maintained a good level of skill on my flute, and my air is pretty good.  I've always been able to play anything I touched (truth, no ego there), so I'm really looking forward to purchasing my first shakuhachi.

This forum came up in a google search for one thing or another, so I figured I'd join the community and reach out to others with the same passion.  First and foremost I plan on using my flute for meditation and expression.  Playing with others eventually, as that appeals to me, but the more I meditate the more I see myself sitting and playing/performing solo.

I plan on doing a lot of reading before I post much, but I wanted to give everyone a little background on what my purpose here is.  I should be able to order my flute in another month or so, and then it's off to practice!

Love and light to all.
-Alan

Peace and Light,
Alan

#2 2010-03-08 21:23:48

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Greetings from Georgia

Welcome to you, Alan.

I think you'll find this forum a helpful, and occasionally amusing, place.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2010-03-08 21:46:24

ArchAngel
Website

doing some reading, I notice some of that.  big_smile

I'll also mention that I'm interested in the shakalute, having a 3SH Gemeinhardt that is still in excellent condition.  I haven't seen a shakalute head that is even remotely affordable for me, though.  Maybe I could fashion an experimental PVC one, but I may need to find a drill press.

Peace and Light,
Alan

#4 2010-03-08 23:39:47

edosan
Edomologist

ArchAngel wrote:

doing some reading, I notice some of that.  big_smile

I'll also mention that I'm interested in the shakalute, having a 3SH Gemeinhardt that is still in excellent condition.  I haven't seen a shakalute head that is even remotely affordable for me, though.  Maybe I could fashion an experimental PVC one, but I may need to find a drill press.

Monty Levenson recently added a cast resin headjoint to his shakulute line, for only a measley USD325.00. It's at least as good or better than any bamboo one, for the purpose (please let's not get started on how much bamboo affects the sound...). Not funky and 'Zen' and beautiful, but it'll never crack. Looks pretty danged good on the instrument, too:

http://shakuhachi.com/Q-Models-Headjoint.html  (Scroll down).

Last edited by edosan (2010-03-08 23:40:46)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2010-03-09 01:33:41

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Hi Alan.

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck with the new flute and practice!

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#6 2010-03-09 07:04:57

purehappiness

Welcome
I just came across this and thought it might be very appropiate since you want to learn shakuhachi for meditation.So do I.

http://stanrichardson.com/article_2.html

I was not conscious whether I was riding on the wind or the wind was riding on me.

Lieh-tzu

#7 2010-03-09 20:38:49

ArchAngel
Website

Kiku Day wrote:

Hi Alan.

Welcome to the forum!
Good luck with the new flute and practice!

hey, thanks.  I totally look forward to it.  I plan on beginning building a PVC this weekend, and blogging/photographing the whole process.

Peace and Light,
Alan

#8 2010-03-09 20:46:25

ArchAngel
Website

purehappiness wrote:

Welcome
I just came across this and thought it might be very appropiate since you want to learn shakuhachi for meditation.So do I.

http://stanrichardson.com/article_2.html

Cool site.  I plan on doing both performance shakuhachi and using it for meditation.  If I learned anything in my years of structured instruction, it was that the silence counts for as much as the sounds do.  One great influence in my life was my band director in High School, Dr. Tim Paul, who made sure that our music was our own meditation.  Practice was very zen as well, and I think it was due to our appreciation for the skill we were granted.

Peace and Light,
Alan

Board footer