World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-03-28 18:18:47

dav
Website

Hello, from Dav in San Francisco.

Hi.

I'm a very green shakuhachi student in San Francisco. Currently studying under Philip Gelb. I'm not a serious musician, so not sure exactly what possessed me to try to learn this difficult instrument. I played clarinet and bass clarinet in high school over 20 years ago, but that's pretty much it.

My wife is half Japanese, and once when her mother was visiting here I asked what music she wanted to listen to and she suggested Tajima Tadashi. I downloaded some from the Apple music store and immediately recognized the same instrument playing at the beginning of Baraka (one of my favorite movies). The next time I was in Tokyo she took me to a shakuhachi store and I bought a student model, which I idly played around with for a little over a year (with little to no progress) before finally finding an instructor.

I'm really enjoying it now, and look forward to decades of improvement. I figure at this rate in a decade I'll be somewhere north of awful.

Philip has been a great teacher. I'm an engineer and don't know much about Zen or Buddhism (although I appreciate them from afar), and he is able to put things in a practical perspective that makes sense to me. I now have two student models, so I can leave one at home and I keep one at work where I can play for 15-20 minutes each day. It's a wonderful way to clear the mind in the middle of a stressful work load.

I'm glad to have discovered this forum! Much thanks to the creators and maintainers.

#2 2010-03-28 19:20:59

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Hello, from Dav in San Francisco.

Hi Dav.

Welcome to the forum!
I am sure you are in good hands with Phil.
Let us know now and then your thoughts on shakuhachi and the experience of playing it.
Play a long roooo to say hello to good old San Francisco from me! Missing it! smile

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-03-28 19:22:36

radi0gnome
Website

Re: Hello, from Dav in San Francisco.

dav wrote:

I'm not a serious musician, so not sure exactly what possessed me to try to learn this difficult instrument.

What possessed you? Could be the shakuhachi spirits. I've taken to believing that there is a higher entity (which could possibly be inner self) that put the instrument on the planet so that individuals could commune with it.

Welcome to the forum.

"Now birds record new harmonie, And trees do whistle melodies;
Now everything that nature breeds, Doth clad itself in pleasant weeds."
~ Thomas Watson - England's Helicon ca 1580

Board footer