•  » Links
  •  » Maker of Classic Kinko Shakuhachi, Meian, and restoration - Senryu

#1 2008-06-05 00:02:07

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Maker of Classic Kinko Shakuhachi, Meian, and restoration - Senryu

Hi everyone
I'm a maker here in Japan. I love both jinashi shakuhachi, and older-style Kinko jiari shakuhachi. In great old instruments, the tone colour is superb. In my shakuhachi I aim for the classic tone of older instruments, but the rigorous pitch requirements of modern players which is lacking in older shakuhachi. As makers, we must balance in our minds, the aim for loudness, pitch, stability and tone colour. While I do strive for powerful projection, I do not let this compromise the tone colour, and work towards a creative integration of these qualities.
My teacher is Furuya Teruo. I study also with Yokoyama Katsuya, and Kinko-ryu sankyoku and honkyoku with Araki Koko V, and have studied Jin Nyodo's lineage of honkyoku with Kurahashi Yoshio. My instruments are crafted specifically for the repertoires I have studied, and therefore I make in a variety of styles.
I also restore both modern and antique shakuhachi.
My website:

http://senryushakuhachi.com/

Happy blowing!
Justin

#2 2010-04-18 02:17:35

Justin
Shihan/Maker
Website

Re: Maker of Classic Kinko Shakuhachi, Meian, and restoration - Senryu

Hi everyone. Just a quick update about my website:
I've been extremely busy with my studies recently. My website server changed and the sound files are now no longer there. As a temporary fix I have a myspace page with some sound on it for those interested in my shakuhachi. The first 2 tracks are on an Edo period shakuhachi, the rest are on instruments I have made. At the moment I mostly only do commissions but you are always welcome to write and ask.

My myspace page is here:
http://www.myspace.com/justinsenryu

• Index
  •  » Links
  •  » Maker of Classic Kinko Shakuhachi, Meian, and restoration - Senryu

Board footer