World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2010-12-10 06:11:42

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Bugs on bamboo stock

Hi all!

Yesterday I was checking my bamboo stock as I do regularly and to my surprise I saw 2 pieces with clear dots on the skin. When pressing with the nail they opened and a worm apeared. It was between the two  top nodes... then I cuted that part of, and I notice that the worms continued to go down and it made me scared because it showed that it takes time to they allow you to see any sign of them.

I used to let my bamboo stock in my gallery, in a high place, shadow, and all those things ad I never saw this problem before. About 2 months ago I cleaned them and puted them inside the apartment in a room. So, then the problem started I think... I can't see any relation among these but...

By what I can see, no other piece has the sign that the bug has entered on the bamboo, but I am affraid because I don't want to lost my pieces.

How can I prevent and protect the bamboos from infection?

The pieces I lost were here curing for about 4 years!!!

I will try to post some pics of the damaged pieces soon. Also, I saw two of the bugs standing over a bamboo piece . They  were pretty (WERE pretty before I smash them) . Sorry god, I wanna kill them all! haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Peace!

Omnia mea mecum porto

#2 2010-12-10 16:58:22

Karmajampa
Website

Re: Bugs on bamboo stock

I think that is one of the reasons bamboo is heated to bring the oils etc to the surfface so you can wipe them off, it is these oils that some bugs are interested in.

Did you do this ?

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#3 2010-12-10 18:10:02

Musgo da Pedra
Website

Hi Kel!!!

Yes I made that, if are refering to aburanuki. But I made it around 3~4 years ago on these pieces!!! No other of the pieces of the same harvest were afected (not that I can see yet!)

But now, I was thinking... I rubbed a bit of tung oil on the pieces when  I putted them on  my room. I cleaned the excess of but this may be the problem?

Omnia mea mecum porto

#4 2010-12-11 00:07:11

Karmajampa
Website

Sometimes when I buy a new bag of grain, flour or anything like that that often develops weevils inside even while still unopened, first I keep the bag in the freezer for a couple of days, this, so it appears, kills any eggs in the grain, so preventing development of adult weevils.

Perhaps a couple of days in a large enough freezer will knock out any existing source of corrosion.

what about sealing stock in plastic.

As yet, I have not noticed any insect invasion in my stock here in New Zealand, I will have to get my friends to take a close inspection for me.

Kel..

Kia Kaha !

#5 2010-12-12 17:13:24

Itamar Foguel
Website

I had 1 of my columns drilled all over with insects in my last harvest, its sad because i dont have 2 many bamboo pieces anyway and the person who grows them allow me to harvest like once or twice a year(and only his picks not myn)

anyway, i had the problem once with a flute bought in Korea, i packed it in airtight plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a week and the insects died.
i also read that you should have the columns stored horizontally to prevent insects

another method used for wood is smoking or using gasoline (which i wont hurry to do on bamboo columns)

pack them in airtight bag for storage just if you think they are cured well enough since it will preserve their humidity.
or just try storing them in different place and hope the bugs wont go at them again

hope it helps
Itamar

Last edited by Itamar Foguel (2010-12-12 17:14:56)

Board footer