listen to this music
Hafiz

#2 2010-05-02 12:51:47

Kiku Day
Shakuhachi player, teacher and ethnomusicologist
Website

Re: Teachers offering skype lessons

I offer lessons on skype.
I am teaching Zensabō style honkyoku and I have taught shakuhachi since 2000 and on skype for since 2007.

Since it is not possible to play together on skype the methods maily used are:
1) when teaching a new piece I play a phrase and the student repeat it
2) I listen to the student and comment on their playing in between
3) Later in the process we do this with longer and longer phrases or sections
4) Then I listen to the student play the whole piece and comment on the piece as a whole and the flow in the playing etc.
5) Obviously, I would play to demonstrate as well.
6) We will discuss the necessary techniques for the piece in question. I demonstrate - the student tries it out and usually we find a solution on how to produce the sounds. People are different and I find it fascinating to find a solution for the individual player.

We also discuss the cultural context of the piece/music etc

I send by email:
1) the score
2) a recording of me playing the piece (closest version)
3) Recordings of others playing the same piece

In Zensabō there are no certificates to take and there is no order of pieces to learn. However, I always try to think of and find the best piece for the student to study according to his/her needs - as the challenges are different for each person. I am also open to suggestions.

I am a jinashi shakuhachi player so I will demonstrate the breathing techniques required for playing this instrument. If you are not a jinashi player - it is ok as well as I am used to the slight difference in fingering and breathing technique and many of my students play jinuri.

I love teaching so if anyone is curious about Zensabō, please do contact me. smile

I can teach in... English, Danish, Swedish, French and Japanese.

Last edited by Kiku Day (2011-01-17 08:47:10)

I am a hole in a flute
that the Christ's breath moves through
listen to this music
Hafiz

#3 2010-05-02 18:01:10

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

OK now the Skype teachers are off to the races. Hopefully more of them post their contact info here. Good luck! cool

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#4 2010-05-02 23:37:02

chikuzen
Dai Shihan/Dokyoku
Website

To join the club:

You may check my web site at www.chikuzenstudios.com for more info. To make it brief here:

We all face the same challenges when teaching on skype: we can't play at the same time, nor can we talk at the same time, so there is talk and there is playing and there is listening. Here is a brief outline of how one studies on skype with me:

First of all, I have books which contain the scores we will use. These include Shoden Level 1, Chuden Level 2, Okuden Level 3, Jun Shihan Level 4 and Shihan (Teaching Certificate) Level 5. All the books have accompanying CDs with the songs recorded on a 1.8 length shakuhachi. There are also many songs which are not in the books which you may want to learn. That's fine. The books provide the core curriculum for us but we'll add other songs you or I like.

Once you are able to produce consistent sound the format goes like this:

1. We chose a song or two for you to work on. We talk about it. Probably you will have listened to the song at home before the lesson. I teach it to you breath by breath. I will explain the song and give you tips on what and how to practice and instruction on how to create the  sounds needed to play the song. This is very important. Because of the nature of Skype, this learning process offers us-in real time-the chance to ask and answer questions on the spot, and allows the teacher to also teach the student how to practice. You must take advantage of this by asking questions.
      You have the song on the cd so you listen to it at home and practice it. While practicing you take down notes and questions. When we get on skype, the first thing you do is ask these questions. If they drive you crazy for a couple days, you can email me and ask, that is, if they are the type of questions that can be answered without writing a dissertation.

2. You play the song and I listen. Then we work on what needs to be payed attention to. This work means that I also play and you listen. I guide you as to what to listen for and what to do, so we can arrive at goals to work towards. This means you get very specific homework assignments. You won't be sitting around wondering what and how to practice.

The options for payments of lessons are listed on my web site.  Although I don't think it mentions that I do offer student discounts.

Lessons are generally 90 minutes but this is adjusted to fit the need. Sometimes more is better, sometimes less.

Feel free to email me any questions.

Last edited by chikuzen (2010-05-03 12:20:41)

Michael Chikuzen Gould

#5 2011-01-10 16:56:34

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

i am available for skype lessons

phil

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#6 2011-01-14 12:56:29

JF Lagrost
Shihan/Tozan Ryu
Website

I see there are already some excellent teachers here ...

I think nothing can replace real face-to-face teaching, but if some of you are looking for shakuhachi lessons in French and / or are interested in the Tozan school, I also give lessons on Skype (in both French or English).

Please contact me by email, or visit the lessons page of my website (in French).

#7 2011-01-15 09:03:16

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi,
  I teach in both English and Japanese with the majority of my students currently being Japanese, because I lived and taught in Nara, Japan for awhile. My students currently are comprised of both men and women with ages ranging from 10 years old to 72. I focus on the Yokoyama style Kinko ryu, Fukuda Rando pieces, as well as modern, original, and ensemble pieces. For more information please visit my site at this page:
http://www.grand-island-serene-gardens. … ssons.html

#8 2011-01-16 17:25:56

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

hi,
I also offer skype lessons as well. Focused on improv (how to...)
I got a Masters Degree on Contemporary Improvisation from New England Conservatory with Shakuhachi and Jazz Flute

More info here http://www.genimusic.com/lessons.cfm

Also, i offer a free lesson.

peace
Geni
p..s lessones available in Italian, Albanian also -)

#9 2011-01-29 04:50:44

take8slow

hi....
hello can someone teach how to play the Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi?

Board footer