World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-11-10 12:15:33

Nyogetsu
Kyu Dan Dai Shihan
Website

Hi Everybody!

I studied Shakuhachi in Kyoto, Japan with Kurahashi Yodo Sensei, who was a disciple of Jin Nyodo.  There in 1975, I received the name Nyogetsu and a teaching certificate at the level of Jun Shi-han in the Kinko school of shakuhachi.

After my return to New York, I was awarded the rank of Shi-han (Master) in 1978, as a result of my efforts to spread the teaching of this instrument in America. 

In 1980, I received my Dai Shi-han, or Grand Master's license.  In April 2001, I received a Koku-An Dai-Shihan (Grand Master's license at the level of Kyu-Dan, or 9th level) from Japan's Living National Treasure in shakuhachi, Aoki Reibo. I was also given the name Reishin (Heart/Mind of the Bell) to go along with it. I was the first non-Japanese to receive this high award.

I have  performed in numerous concerts, lectures and demonstrations in the metropolitan area and around the United States as well as Canada, Mexico, Scotland, and Argentina. I have toured Japan annually since 1980, and have also been interviewed on radio and television both here and in Japan, and have performed on the soundtracks of several documentary films including the Academy Award nominated documentary "A Family Gathering" (1989) for which I also co-composed the sound track.  My playing also appears on the GRAMMY-nominated "The Planet Sleeps" (SONY).

I've released about 30 recordings of shakuhachi music including cassettes, LPs, DVDs and CDs.  My most recent publication is the complete repertire of the Jin Nyodo Honkyoku pieces which comes in a plastic Box along with my first Book (SUI-ZEN: Blowing Meditation) and a stack of incense. I am the founder of Ki-sui-an shakuhachi dojo with branches in Queens, Manhattan, Rochester/Syracuse, and Baltimore/Washington D.C.  In addition to teaching privately (and by cassette and computer, which I have been doing for over 25 years), I am also part of the Japanese Muslc Program at the graduate Center of the City University of New York where he gives lectures on and demonstrations of the shakuhachi. I am also on faculty at New York University (NYU) and have have had about 80 students for the past 2 decades.

I was Artist in Residence for Fall 2002 at the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, and I was the university Artist in Residence at New York University (Spring 2004).

I look forward to helping anyone in any way along their "Path of Bamboo" (Take No Michi), with this amzing instrument which has enriched my life so incredibly!

Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin

Last edited by Nyogetsu (2005-11-10 15:52:30)

The magic's in the music and the music's in me...
"Do you believe in Magic"- The Lovin' Spoonful

#2 2005-11-28 15:12:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Hi Everybody!

Gee, Ronnie...have you ever thought about getting serious with the Shakuhachi? wink

That's quite a list of achievements, my friend. I'm imporessed.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

Board footer