Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2015-02-05 09:46:16

MARCIN

Greetings from Poland :)

Greetings from Poland smile
My name is Marcin and I live in Warsaw. I come from a small town of EŁK in the land of forests and lakes called Mazury (which is also called the Green Lungs of Poland). Living now in the capital I'm always missing all the nature from my hometown ... The way that I've found the forum as well as the shakuhachi is simple ... one day the bamboo came to me together with shakuhachi flute:) I'm fascinated by bamboo as a material (and still an exotic material in Poland and it is difficult to get a good quality bamboo) from which you can do almost anything, eg. a beautiful piece of jewelry, candle holders, picture frames, interior design and furniture, and many others). Recently, I am working (unprofessionally) with such kind of the maker of the bamboo stuff.

For years, my personal interests were related to the meditation, zen, yoga, tai-chi. I also play the guitar and ukulele. I love oriental meditative music, but also rock and classical. I like to tinker, modify, improve, repair. I have a wonderful wife and two great children (daughter goes towards painting and son in the direction of music - violin). For many years, I am bound to organic farming in various aspects. I am an agricultural economist by profession, mainly in the area of economics of organic production.

In Poland, the shakuhachi flute is a little-known, I think it's time to change that smile I have not found yet people involved in playing the shaku or shakuhachi flute makers in Poland, but I'm still loking for. I want to develop the manufacturing of shakuhachi as well as the playing this instrument. So far my shakuhachi are used for mediations but It's getting closer to the fine tuning instrument, I hope:)

I've read the forum materials for a long time, a huge knowledge and experiences. However, I decided to join the forum, because the further you go the deeper you get smile

Many thanks I address now to Perry Yung and Ken LaCosse for the knowledge and the passion of shakuhachi that you share with others. Also I am grateful for all the upcoming contacts at this forum and the opportunity to learn from you all.

Namaste!

MARCIN ŻEKAŁO

ps. sorry for my not quite perfect english smile

HERE&NOW

#2 2015-02-06 07:12:48

Jam

Re: Greetings from Poland :)

Witamy na forum Marcin!

I'm looking forward to hearing your adventures in Poland, if you ever make it over to the UK then get in touch, there are a few of us here and it would be nice to play together. We also have an EU forum (Shakuhachiforum.eu) which you're more than welcome to join too, you're the first Polish shakuhachi player I've heard of smile

You don't need to apologise for your english, it's very good (and much better than my Polish! Thank you google translate).

#3 2015-02-06 09:22:39

MARCIN

Thanks Jam smile
I've only heard about two polish people who play shakuhachi (one is the member of International Shakuhachi Society and the second is the Suizen Monk - the real one). Hope there're more of polish shaku players and now I'm trying to reach them somehow.
Now I am focused more on making shakuhachi (and other stuff made from bamboo) but of course I'm gonna learn and play as much as I can (my guitars will be sad and jealous smile
Maybe this year I will have opportunity to visit family in London for a few days so I'm glad to eventual meeting smile
Soon I will join the EU forum too, thanks smile

Have nice weekend smile
http://i58.tinypic.com/2vls4g5.jpg

Last edited by MARCIN (2015-02-06 09:33:30)

HERE&NOW

#4 2015-02-09 08:32:48

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Welcome to the forum Marcin!

Looking forward to hearing of your discoveries.
- Perry

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#5 2015-02-10 08:22:19

MARCIN

Thanks Perry smile a long way ahead of me...

Last edited by MARCIN (2015-02-10 09:13:55)

HERE&NOW

#6 2015-02-16 09:12:29

MARCIN

I am still reading the forum content and other sources and listening to the shakuhachi music.... and one thing comes to my mind (after reading all the guidance on the forum) that first I should learn how to play shakuhachi to be able to make progress in the shakuhachi flute making (more and more I realize myself that the blowing the tones even in the proper keys is not enough). One problem is that I can't find the person in Poland who could be a shakuhachi teacher... I know that the all the internet content about shakuhachi is very helpfull but nothing can substitute the direct communication. Now I'm waiting for personal contact with polish zen monk practicing suizen but it maybe just one meeting in the late spring. Anyway I enjoy just playing shakuhachi as the meditative breathing way but I'm still looking for the teacher...
If you have any suggestions how to start from the scratch with the playing technics I will be grateful for your help.

The second problem is the making of shakuhachi is not so easy smile but I know that only practice makes it better smile thanks for all your guidance and knowledge on this forum

HERE&NOW

#7 2015-02-17 10:34:53

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

MARCIN wrote:

.... and one thing comes to my mind (after reading all the guidance on the forum) that first I should learn how to play shakuhachi to be able to make progress in the shakuhachi flute making (more and more I realize myself that the blowing the tones even in the proper keys is not enough). One problem is that I can't find the person in Poland who could be a shakuhachi teacher...

Hi MARCIN, you are exactly right. These days, Some very good teachers teach via Skype. While it's not as good as in-person lessons, it's still a good option. While you are searching on your own, keep in mind that it is important and find the RIGHT teacher. There are many styles of shakuhachi music (and individuals within these styles), you would save a lot of time if you found the right teacher. I do not teach on skype but can recommend some very good teachers if you are interested. Just send me a personal message PM or email via my website link on my signature.

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#8 2015-02-18 01:01:48

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

There is a Polish monk practicing Suizen? What's his name?

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#9 2015-02-19 04:48:14

MARCIN

Tairaku, this Polish monk's (practicing suizen) name is Łukasz Szpunar (Hojun Mugetsu) and now he's living in Tokyo. Hope to see him (first time) this late spring in Poland, maybe for first shakuhachi lesson, I hope:)
Perry, thank you for your help, I will send you PM.

Namaste

HERE&NOW

Board footer