Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-01 13:56:22

Seth

Nishimura Koku

Anyone know more about Nishimura Koku besides the text below taken from Komuso.com:

http://www.komuso.com/people/Nishimura_Koku.html

"Koku Nishimura started playing the bamboo flute when he was 28 years old. He was taught by a "komuso" named Kyochiku Tani. Later, Koku Nishimura became a master flutist and founded the Tani-sect of flute players. He named the special type of bamboo flute used by himself and his pupils, "kyotaku." Koku Nishimura became a komuso and for ten years he walked around Japan and played kyotaku. He tought students from all over the world, and he has made over 2,000 kyotaku flutes. In addition to being a flute master, he was an accomplished woodcarver and painter. He had a black belt with six dan in Okinawa karate and a black belt with three dan in Kendo. In addition, he was the Honorary Director of the Ruo-yan Buddism Association in China."

Anyone know where his recordings are available?

#2 2006-10-01 15:00:01

dstone
Website

Re: Nishimura Koku

Seth, I'll share what little I know...

I have a book on Nishimura Koku, mostly photographs.  The book focuses on his artwork (beautiful) and his flutes (more beautiful).  There are also two pages of photos and brief Japanese text on his recordings.  It depicts three CD covers (reissues?) and one LP on the Toshiba label.  The text is in Japanese and I'm unable to read it.

I have a high quality scans of the recordings pages.  If you'd like them, let me know.

There are a couple of photos of his wife and son, Koryu, on this page.  (Koryu is the older gentleman, not the younger monk.)  His son is a super nice guy, living in Kumamoto where he plays and teaches.

I have one CD "Kyotaku" and wish I could find more recordings also.  The CD is Japanese and I can't recall where I purchased it.  (Possibly here in Canada, from my teacher.)

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#3 2006-10-03 23:27:39

Seth

Thanks for sharing.... would love to see more of his wood carvings...

thanks!

#4 2006-10-04 13:34:04

philthefluter
Website

A pupil of Nishimura Koku Tilo Burdock, gave a talk about his teacher at the European Shakuhachi Summer School. You may be able to contact Tilo throught the Euroshak discussion group.

I have a CD called 'Kyotaku'. Have you tried shakuhachi.com and the Mejiro catalogue for copies?

"The bamboo and Zen are One!" Kurosawa Kinko
http://www.shakuhachizen.com/
http://www.myspace.com/shakuhachizen

#5 2006-11-08 18:06:24

gmiller

shakuhachi.com now has "Kyotaku" CD

Board footer