Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-11-11 04:12:14

pablo63

Respectful request of flutemakers out there

Anyone have a 2.4 to 2.6 root end that could be purchased reasonably on payments?  About 5 hours ago I drove off with my jinashi on the roof of my car and remembered it four blocks later.  Returned just in time to see a vehicle run over it. It's cracked beyond repair.  I have purchased a Peter Ross 2.0 from another forum member (promptly paid him two weeks after recieving it) but really miss the deeper tones for my nightly meditation. I've contacted a two other members in the buy/sell section.

#2 2006-11-11 06:56:16

gmiller

Re: Respectful request of flutemakers out there

Are you sure the jinashi is beyond repair? I shipped a 1.4 Maple flute that the Post Office crushed; I managed to put it back together to the point where it is almost impossible to tell it was damaged. If you have any photos I would be interested in seeing them., gmsurf2000@yahoo.com

#3 2006-11-11 11:16:58

pablo63

I don't have the wherewithal to photo.  I tried pulling the indented portion out so I could line up the cracks but couldn't figure it out.  Perhaps an experienced maker could accomplish the feat but I am nowhere in that league.  I'm basically a begginning student, much less a maker. Perhaps I was emotionally involved as I wrote my request but a few hours after the damage was done.  I'll get my tools together & try to pry (prize?) the portions up till they match again.  Thank you for your reply. Guess I've got to wrap whatever I'm to use to pull the parts of the cracks which have the finger holes split & offset.  I'll get back with an update.

#4 2006-11-11 12:19:25

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

pablo63 wrote:

About 5 hours ago I drove off with my jinashi on the roof of my car and remembered it four blocks later.  Returned just in time to see a vehicle run over it. It's cracked beyond repair.

Paul,

I think George makes a good point here. Smashed bamboo can often be repaired. It wants to return to its original state. If you can clear any obstructions, moisture can help it along. A wet box is ideal. However, a plastic bag with a wet towel will work also. Give it at least a day or more. No need to rush. After it regains its original shape, you can dry, glue and bind it.

Good luck!

Ken

#5 2006-11-12 00:35:29

pablo63

Thank you for your kind responses. I'm going on the road for a few days.  If I had the time I would cut off the bindings & try the wet box method. As things go, however, I think I'll just send it off to George.  I purchased it on e-bay from a fellow named Jon who make them in Manhatten for so little I was almost embarrased, to me the tone is absolutly wonderful...well, anyway...thank you for your help.

#6 2006-11-12 12:49:20

pablo63

HOLY #%@ (cow) Did the wet towel thing and in one day the indented cracks have almost leveled themselves out!  What kind of glue? I know how to bind by hand but am unsure of what type glue. Thanks Ken & George! (looks like I may not have to send it to you George)
Paul
ps
i am, however still going to purchase another & have made arraingements.

#7 2006-11-13 12:27:39

Mujitsu
Administrator/Flutemaker
Website

pablo63 wrote:

What kind of glue?

Urushi, two-part epoxy or super glue will work. With super glue, it helps to have an acetone soaked rag ready to quickly wipe off the excess glue.

Ken

Board footer