Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-10-18 16:19:29

Toffe

Eddie's wonderful flutes in their new home.... I'm way too happy!

A few weeks back two tubes arrived at my post-office....
They were from Eddie (known as kyoreiflutes here at the forum)

Trembeling I walked there with the paperslip in my hand... "This is it!", I thought out loud. "This is it! I am finally going to meet a real shakuhachi!"
I have been looking at pictures, listening to records and reading building manuals off and on for 7 years, but I had never even held one in my hands.

I walked home slowly.. just enjoying to restrain myself from running like a drunk chicken waving the tubes around.
I unpacked the first tube, and there she was. Eddie's first root-end shakuhachi. I've been looking at his pictures for about three months.
It was even better than I had imagined! I picked it up at took some breaths down the tube before a bright, wonderful shaku-tone emerged out of the other end of it. I am from that moment completely hooked.
I played it all day, and when my family went asleep I just sat looking at it. I couldn't sleep properly for three nights. I had to get out of bed and just hold it and look at it.

I've played it every single day since than, the first thing after I get home from work.

In the other tube there was a Yuu. That was awsome too.

Now they are resting for the night at the top slot in my flutestand in the studio.
Here they are:

1. Eddie's root-end
2. Yuu from Eddie
3. A non-root 2.0 jinashi I'm currently working on. Is now curing from tung-bath
4. A rediculous, stupid crap-flute sold under the name "shakuhachi" to me by some amazon-seller. Usually sold as "CC shakuhachi".
    They said these are "rarely more than 12 cents off pitch". But this one doesn't even have the right scale. Is a major third on this one.

http://altoguitar.com/shakuhachi/top.jpg

Here's my entire flutestand (missing a few whistles at the bottom)
From top to bottom:

1. Eddie's wonderful 1.8 root -end
2. Yuu
3. A non-root 2.0 in the works, by me
4. Crappy scrap-flute by amazon-jokers. Don't know why I keep it there.
5. Same as #4, just a bit smaller. This one is better than the other one, since it's smaller... so there's less of it.
6. Bansuri i got from an Indian music maestro that got too sick to play anymore.
7. The first sideblown flute I made. In D, made from a bamboo-torch. (Oops... it's backwards here... also the bindings are just experimental)
8-13. Same as #6
14. Tourist bansuri from Stockholm
15. Old bansuri that I fixed up for a friend. We ended up sitting on it and it cracked. So did we... I keep it to remind me of that moment.
16. Kena from Ecuador. My first bambooflute. Has a wonderful tone. I bought off a streetmusician in Norrköping, Sweden.
17. Kena, from Chile.
18. You can just see the top of it. I got this funny flute from a funny woman in a store. Has a rather weird kind of whole-tone scale.

http://altoguitar.com/shakuhachi/flutestand.jpg

Just wanted to share my great joy with you.
If you ever get a chance to buy one of Eddie's flutes.. do so! It's a great instrument.
Soon I will hopefully be able to go to Stockholm to get lessons from Gunnar Jin-Mei Linder. That will be awsome!

Have a great shakuhachi day.

// Chris the Swede

Last edited by Toffe (2006-10-18 16:25:27)

#2 2006-10-18 19:03:38

edosan
Edomologist

Re: Eddie's wonderful flutes in their new home.... I'm way too happy!

Chris (the Swede...),

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your excitement and your 'flute-wealth'.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#3 2006-10-19 10:54:38

dstone
Website

More proof that the hottest pinup models come from Sweden.

Congratulations on the latest edition to your family, Toffe.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#4 2006-10-19 11:36:51

Alex

Yeah! Nice collection!

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#5 2006-10-19 13:06:25

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Do you play them all?

#6 2006-10-19 16:20:49

Toffe

Yep.. expept for the crappy amazon-flutes (#4 and #5) and a weird flute a got from a weird woman. I play it every now and then, but it sounds bad. Also the cracked bansuri is only there to humble me.

But other then thant I play them all every now and then. Right now I mostly play the top three and one that is in the workshop.

#7 2006-12-12 14:21:42

de_Genova

Toffe......could you please tell me a little more about the Yuu Shakuhachi. I had mentioned in an earlier post that I was moving towards a more oriental sound on my silver Altus. I also have a Yamaha as a backup and was toying with the idea of experimenting on it by fitting it with a 'shakulute,' which I don't know much about, but I have heard it played on a the transverse flute (vertically) and the sound was rather good. Not nearly the sound quality of a true Shakuhachi though. I think because I am so attracted to the Shakuhachi sound that I should start with the Yuu. But I need some sort of a recommendation before proceeding. Then, if I am relatively comfortable with the sound and the feel of it I could move on the 'real thing' so to speak. Any words on it for me? Or anyone else care to comment? Thank you ..............PD

Last edited by de_Genova (2006-12-12 14:25:04)

Don't take any wooden nickles!

#8 2006-12-12 15:37:44

Toffe

I would definitively recommend a Yuu if you can get one rather cheap.
Otherwise I think there are several people here that may build a beginner shakuhachi for a rather small amount for you (me for instance wink )

The Yuu sounds really nice. I doesn't really sound bamboo, but very close. Also it is a precision made instrument well tuned and all.

Regards. Chris

Board footer