Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-25 10:40:16

rob+kat

"Yakuza" sound tract Komoso scene?

We recently watched the "Yakuza", a pretty fair flick shot in the early 70s. Lots of period "sampled" shakuhachi in the soundtrack.
We are very curious about one scene, in which a Komoso monk walks by, as to  authenticity, location, piece he is playing, any information or comment at all.
Thanks,
Rob and Kat

#2 2007-02-25 10:53:57

philipgelb
Chef, musician, teacher
Website

Re: "Yakuza" sound tract Komoso scene?

the movie was simply called, "Yakuza"? Who was the director? curious

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi player, teacher & vegetarian chef
Oakland, CA
http://philipgelb.com  http://myspace.com/philipgelb, http://myspace.com/inthemoodforfood

#3 2007-02-25 11:08:37

rob+kat

"Who was the director"
Sydney Pollack directed Robert Mitchum and Ken Takakura. Soundtrack by  Dave Grusin.
rob

#4 2007-02-26 14:27:19

kyoreiflutes
Website

Haven't seen the movie, but all the shakuhachi would've been live, not sampled. Just a thought.

I might've seen the movie at some point, it does sound familliar.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#5 2007-02-26 19:11:34

edosan
Edomologist

Having just seen the movie (last night), I'd say that there is shakuhachi in only two scenes:

• The climactic sword/pistol/shotgun fight near the end--just some bits of decent but stereotypical noodling.

• In Kyoto, wherein a Komuso in full regalia walks by in the background as the two principals are talking--I could not discern any familiar (or even
      unfamiliar) honkyoku in the playing.

The sound track is quite good, though: sparse, and using Western instruments very fittingly, usually using a bass Western flute to cover
the shakuhachi-esque elements.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#6 2007-02-26 19:49:13

rob+kat

Very helpful.
There is a 2005 soundtrack CD that seems to have been produced to bring up more of the few little shakuhachi color bits that Pollack had collected.
My main interest was in the Komoso walk thu, which I enjoyed in spite of having no clue what to make of the sound.

Thanks,
rob

Board footer