Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-08 12:25:17

Leland

Leland from Seattle says Hi!

Hi everyone! My name is Leland Jones. I’m a 30 yr old electronic musician living with my wife in Seattle. I collect records and make music by sampling them. A couple of months ago I found a shakuhachi record in my collection that had been overlooked for years. I fell instantly under the spell of the instrument and had to learn more. I was fortunate enough to get a LaCosse 2.6 Taimu as my first instrument and I’ve been enjoying it immensely. I’ve had trouble concentrating on anything but shakuhachi since I first discovered it for myself and I can already tell it’s going to be an important part of my life. I hope to be able to contribute something to this site in return for all of the information and insight it has provided me. I’d also like to say thank you to the friends that generously gave me help and support thus far: Ken LaCosse, Alcvin Ramos, Eddie Lloyd, Derek Van Choice, Jeff Cairns, and Monty Levenson. To everyone else here, thanks for having me, I look forward to getting to know you too! The positive energy and encouragement in this community is refreshing and I’m glad to be a part of it.
              _ _
           q(-_-)p     
             _) (_       
            // l.l \\           
        _(<_|.l_>)_         
       (__\_|.|_/__)               
  (WWWW|.|WWWW)
             /   \ 
           (  o   )

#2 2007-03-08 12:37:35

Michael Howard
Website

Re: Leland from Seattle says Hi!

Greetings Leland from the Kitsap Pennisula! Wow, what an amazing instrument to get started on, a Taimu 2.6, you must be in heaven brother. Hey I'm curious what the album it is if you don't mind me asking. Take care friend and welcome!

Michael

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

www.kolbeflutes.com       http://www.myspace.com/bushidoshakuhachi

#3 2007-03-08 13:09:31

Leland

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the welcome, I actually have a house in Suquamish that I rent out now. When I first moved out here from San Diego I lived on Bainbridge Island. I love the Kitsap Penninsula!

I think the first record I found was "Music for Zen Meditation" by jazz clarinetist Tony Scott. I'd listened to that record at some point but never really noticed the shakuhachi until it jumped out! After looking through the collection a little further I realized I had a few more. A really cool 70's psych rock record called "Ben Zaiten" by Kitajima has some great shakuhachi on it, very cool record too. I had some John Neptune and Kohachiro Miyata as well. Now I've managed to acquire about 10 more shakuhachi lps and a couple cds, I'm keeping my ears peeled.

I'm staying in an apartment above Uwajimaya in the international district and I have a music studio in Pioneer Square. If you (or anyone else here) ever wants to come through for some Japanese food and music fun, please don't hesitate, the invitation always stands.

You should try the LaCosse for yourself, it is heaven. I'd love to get together sometime. I'm an absolute beginner and could definitely use some shakuhachi friends.

Leland

#4 2007-03-08 14:13:57

dstone
Website

Welcome, Leland!  ...from a fellow beginner a couple of hours north.  This Portland-Seattle-Vancouver stretch seems to contains lots of enthusiastic shakuhachi people and at least a few masters.

You're very fortunate, I think, to start with such a meaty flute from a good maker.  I started on a 2.4 wide-bore jinashi just two years ago.  Made and played several longer flutes myself, since then.  Now I'm starting to explore the "normal" world of 1.8 jiari flutes a bit.  Everyone's path is different, of course, but I predict you'll have a great time, especially since you're probably starting with a keen ear for sound, pitch, etc.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#5 2007-03-08 14:49:19

Leland

Thanks for the kind welcome Darren!

I'm sure our paths will cross before long. I've enjoyed your posts in the forum. I'm hoping to be able to start some lessons with Al soon. I'll be up in June for the making class too. I would love to go on the roots tour, but I may not be able to get the time away. I'm going to John Neptune's long jinashi making class at Mejiro in May and I'm really excited for that. I want to get a 1.8 for some formal study, but I'm going to take a little time with the 2.6 first, I'm really enjoying it. If you ever visit Seattle, you've got a place to stay and a home cooked meal. Talk to you soon!

Leland

Last edited by Leland (2007-03-08 14:49:40)

#6 2007-03-08 17:05:07

dstone
Website

Thanks, Leland.  That jinashi workshop in Japan sounds fantastic.  Yes, the Japan trip in the fall is long -- hard for me to wrangle that kind of time off also.  I'm trying my best.  The workshop on the Sunshine Coast is always a great time.  Expert knowledge, natural setting, nice people.  See you there!

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#7 2007-03-09 23:29:28

kyoreiflutes
Website

Hey , Leland! Glad you finally posted!

I've been hanging out with Leland for a bit now, and he's a stand-up guy. He's had a pretty interesting life so far, and has some really interesting stories to tell about the road. And he has a pretty amazing collection of Vinyl. I mean amazing. Not just in the sheer number of records, but what they are. Probably the best Vinyl collection I've ever seen, in my opinion. He's also just a hell of a nice guy.

Leland and I are beginning work on some black bamboo root ends (he made his first one recently!), as well as some madake. We'll make sure to take some pics for y'all. It should be pretty exciting. Not a bad afternoon, sitting around, listening to amazing records, and working on flutes.

And yeah, anyone coming to Seattle will be shown the town by Leland and myself.

Welcome, Leland!

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#8 2007-03-10 00:05:29

Michael Howard
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Hey , Leland! Glad you finally posted!

Probably the best Vinyl collection I've ever seen, in my opinion-E

Can't wait to check out that vinyl myself, sounds like ya'll are having a blast makin' dem flutes, make some good ones!!!

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

#9 2007-03-10 13:56:08

kyoreiflutes
Website

Oh, we will, Michael. wink

Actually, I'll definately be at JuneFaire this year, and I'll be bringing some with me, possibly for sale. I'll let you know so you can come by.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#10 2007-03-10 14:20:31

Michael Howard
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

Oh, we will, Michael. wink

Actually, I'll definately be at JuneFaire this year, and I'll be bringing some with me, possibly for sale. I'll let you know so you can come by.

-E

That would be great, I missed it last year. I was working at the hospital so my hours were messed up. I have much more freedom this year so I'll plan on being there, perhaps Leland as well? What size shakus di ya'll end up making?

#11 2007-03-10 15:00:01

kyoreiflutes
Website

I'm trying to talk Leland into coming. We're making a bunch of black bamboo flutes probably at smaller sizes, like 1.8 and such, but the madake pieces are going to be 2.4 and 2.6. I believe we have a nice piece for a 1.8, and Leland has grabbed some other pieces since I last saw him.

I hope you can make it to June Faire!

-E

#12 2007-03-10 15:06:30

Michael Howard
Website

kyoreiflutes wrote:

I'm trying to talk Leland into coming. We're making a bunch of black bamboo flutes probably at smaller sizes, like 1.8 and such, but the madake pieces are going to be 2.4 and 2.6. I believe we have a nice piece for a 1.8, and Leland has grabbed some other pieces since I last saw him.

I hope you can make it to June Faire!

-E

Definately since it's practically my backyard, I have no excuse.  I would enjoy making some flutes with you sometime as well, it would be interesting to combine our knowledge and see what we come up with..

Board footer