Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2005-10-16 00:17:39

JeffMartindale
Website

Hello to all!

I was introduced to the Shakuhachi by Peter Phippen about 5 years ago while attending a Native American flute retreat. My first attempt at playing the Shakuhachi actually began at the home of Dr. Richard Payne over two years ago, a noted ethnomusicologist and Native American flute maker. Since then, I have combined the Shakuhachi with the Native American flute in my performances. My first shakuhachi was by Mujitsu shakuhachi. My most recent performance was in Texas and New York City in May where I performed a piece written for me using the Shakuhachi and Native American flute with the Piano. I also played solo shakuhachi pieces at the Tenri Cultural Institute in New York City. It was a privilege to play in front of young and aging Japanese men and women and hear their excitement for an instrument that they may have not heard played live for many years. It was an honor to be asked to return. At this time, my first CD is scheduled to be produced in December. The CD will combine Native American flute, Shakuhachi, and hand drums. While I love the Native American flute, I am intrigued by the Shakuhachi. I perform original pieces on the Shakuhachi. Since I have no formal teacher, because none exist in my part of the country, I rely on CD's and my own musical background to shape the pieces that I play on the Shakuhachi. Currently, I am a mental health clinician with a Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology. I have used and continue to use the Native American flute, Shakuhachi, and hand drums in parts of therapy. Beyond the music, the best part of fluting is the people I meet that are excited about the Shakuhachi and Native American flute. I look forward to being a part of this forum and sharing in discussions. Happy fluting, Jeff Martindale

Last edited by JeffMartindale (2005-10-16 01:19:01)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
        Mark Twain

#2 2005-10-16 08:30:37

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Re: Hello to all!

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located? 

Tairaku

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#3 2005-10-16 09:54:40

JeffMartindale
Website

Hello, I moved to Fayetteville, Arkansas just about two months ago. Before that, I lived in Lubbock, TX for several years. By the way, have your Shakuhachi Club NYC CD, great partnership with players and terrific sound. Look forward to being a part of the forum.

Jeff

Mark Twain

#4 2005-10-16 10:17:18

Tairaku 太楽
Administrator/Performer
Website

Thanks for the kind words. I asked your location so that if there are any teachers in the area they can make themselves known. Unfortunately for this big country most of the shakuhachi activity is centralized in NYC and SF with a few isolated teachers elsewhere. Hopefully as the instrument grows in popularity this will expand.

'Progress means simplifying, not complicating' : Bruno Munari

http://www.myspace.com/tairakubrianritchie

#5 2005-10-16 10:41:18

JeffMartindale
Website

Yes, there are relatively few teachers and many are centralized outside of my state. My formal instruction is likely to come from traveling to locations to receive lessons a few days at a time from an instructor. I know of one in the Dallas area that may be the closest to me. Until then, I will continue my experimentation with technique and sound on the Shakuhachi. Thanks for any help.

Mark Twain

Board footer