Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-02-28 12:08:11

kyoreiflutes
Website

Tamuke: a piece for the Dead?

I was just reading yet another story about a child dying, and it got me to thinking about the piece Tamuke. I believe I once read that this piece is used in some way to help the spirits of the dead have a smooth transition? Like Amazing Grace is used in the West.

Is this true at all? Has anyone ever read this? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Eddie

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."

- D.E. Lloyd

Last edited by kyoreiflutes (2007-02-28 12:08:37)

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#2 2007-02-28 12:22:01

kyoreiflutes
Website

Re: Tamuke: a piece for the Dead?

Never mind, I found what I was looking for:

http://www.komuso.com/pieces/Tamuke.html

Thanks to all.

-E

"The Universe does not play favorites, and is not fair by its very Nature; Humans, however, are uniquely capable of making the world they live in fair to all."    - D.E. Lloyd

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee."    -John Donne

#3 2007-02-28 14:51:10

Moran from Planet X
Website

Eddie, did you see the Tamuke by Watazumi download that our friend Eiryuu put on his website recently? Recorded in 1952. 
http://www.sepia.dti.ne.jp/shakuhachi/m … nryuu.html

There is also an mp3 of Eirei ni Sasagu ("Pray to the spirits of the deceased") composed by Yokoyama Ranpo (Yokoyama Katsuya's father) which is quite wonderful. (I'd love to see a kinko transcription of it some day).
http://shakuhachi.komusou.jp/kinkoryuu/kinkoryuu.html

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#4 2007-03-01 01:26:52

Michael Howard
Website

Wow, that was moving listening to Watazumi play "Tamuke", beautiful with just the wind around him, thank you!

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

www.kolbeflutes.com       http://www.myspace.com/bushidoshakuhachi

#5 2007-03-01 10:18:12

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

When I learned Tamuke in Japan from Kinya, his wife Laurie explained that it was historically played by Komuso for the safe passage of a soul.  The Kanji, or characters of Tamuke in Chinese read Hands Folded in Prayer. Then she said a very well known shakuhachi master played it at his daughter's wedding.

Have a great day! Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-03-02 11:40:45)

"A hot dog is not an animal." - Jet Yung

My Blog/Website on the art of shakuhachi...and parenting.
How to make an Urban Shakuhachi (PVC)

#6 2007-03-01 10:55:19

Michael Howard
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

When I learned Tamuke in Japan from Kinya, his wife Laurie explained that it was historically played by Komuso for the safe passage of a soul.  The Kanji, or characters of Tamuke in Chinese read Hands Folder in Prayer. Then she said a very well know shakuhachi master played it at his daughter's wedding.

Have a great day! Perry

Thanks Perry, that is some rich meaning behind Tamuke and makes it all the more special!

The Tao is (like) the emptiness of a vessel; and in our employment of it we must be on our guard against all fulness. How deep and unfathomable it is, as if it were the Honoured Ancestor of all things!

#7 2007-03-02 04:36:34

caffeind

I was told that parts of Tamuke were derived from the minyo piece Itsuki Komoriuta.

Last edited by caffeind (2007-03-02 04:40:08)

#8 2007-03-02 12:57:10

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Tamuke is alway a timely piece. Today in particular. I was dropping my daughter off at preschool when I heard the news of the hurricane in Alanta.   

TAMUKE

For me, it is about the safe passage.

Please excuse the mistakes.

Ichion jobutsu, Perry

Last edited by Yungflutes (2007-03-02 13:04:10)

#9 2007-03-02 13:54:16

Michael Howard
Website

Hi Perry you and your family will be in our thoughts today, thank you for Tamuke, sounds lovely!

#10 2007-03-03 08:21:20

Yungflutes
Flutemaker/Performer
Website

Michael Howard wrote:

Hi Perry you and your family will be in our thoughts today, thank you for Tamuke, sounds lovely!

Hi Michael, Thanks for your kind thoughts. You may want to send them towards the families affected by the hurricane in Alabama, Georgia and Missouri.

Ichion jobutsu, Perry

#11 2007-03-03 12:29:14

Moran from Planet X
Website

caffeind wrote:

I was told that parts of Tamuke were derived from the minyo piece Itsuki Komoriuta.

The first six notes of line 12 of Tamuke are the same as the first six notes of Itsuki Komoriuta (Lullaby of Itsuki). I'm always intersted to hear how each player approaches that passage.

Tamuke is considered an elegy ("a reflection on the death of someone or on a sorrow generally; usually in a sad and somber attitude") and a requiem ("Its theme is a prayer for the salvation of the souls of the departed"). (Thanks Wikipedia for the definitions.)

To interject an exact phrase into this somber piece from a folk music lullaby is both incredibly sweet and melancholy.

Some players treat it very staccato to separate it from the rest of the piece. Others make little dynamic change from the rest of the reading so it blends in almost without notice.

Yokoyama Katsuya-sensei's versions seem to spotlight the phrase with a tender wistfull quality, lightly staccato on the first two notes then a soft, faster reading of the the remaining notes of the phrase. Very much like a mother's tender voice singing to her child.

Then on the next line (13) a return to the elegy with a pang of searing emotion in the kan register re--chi--OU-SAN--chi-re ...

Quite a challenging piece of music.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I am all out of bubblegum." —Rowdy Piper, They Live!

#12 2007-03-03 19:47:27

Michael Howard
Website

Yungflutes wrote:

When I learned Tamuke in Japan from Kinya, his wife Laurie explained that it was historically played by Komuso for the safe passage of a soul.  The Kanji, or characters of Tamuke in Chinese read Hands Folded in Prayer. Then she said a very well known shakuhachi master played it at his daughter's wedding.

Have a great day! Perry

So Tamuke is played at weddings? Interesting!

#13 2007-03-04 10:20:27

Sean

I played Tamuke yesterday at a funeral for my Uncle Jean-Paul. I have played this piece many times, but this time was completely different.. I felt the MA like I never have. It was such a beautiful, intense experience. My sister, who is within earshot of my practicing most of the time(much to her dismay MUCH of the time:), mentioned that she had never heard me play Tamuke in that way before.

#14 2007-05-05 22:58:30

Zakarius

Yungflutes wrote:

Perhaps this implies that the father didn't approve of his new son-in-law!

Zakarius

塵も積もれば山となる -- "Chiri mo tsumoreba yama to naru." -- Piled-up specks of dust become a mountain.

Board footer