Mujitsu and Tairaku's Shakuhachi BBQ

World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-04-30 15:58:28

Owloon
Website

Looking for a teacher in Toronto

I've been contacted by someone interested in finding a Shakuhachi tutor in Toronto or the GTA (Ontario, Canada).  If you post here, he can read it, or if you email me, I'll pass the info along.

"Whether you are [playing] in the bar, the church, the strip joint, or the Himalayas, the first duty of music is to compliment and enhance life."   -- Carlos Santana, via _Zen Guitar_ by Philip Toshio Sudo

#2 2007-05-11 16:24:24

earthspiritflutes
Website

Re: Looking for a teacher in Toronto

I am also interested in finding a teacher in Southern Ontario area. I live 1 hour west of Toronto.

If there has been any response to this post could you pass along some info. I will also consider live computer video lessons. I have MSN, Yahoo Messenger and would consider Skype

Thanks

#3 2007-05-11 22:02:19

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

Skype is great!Some teachers use that for lessons.

#4 2007-05-20 23:17:11

Gerry

I know a few people (friends of friends) in Toronto who might be willing to teach. If you are interested, contact me and I will look into it for you.

#5 2007-05-21 21:05:24

indigo

Dear Shakuhachi players of the Toronto region

It is my understanding that the estemed flute maker and player Bonchiku Hoshi lives in the Kitchener Waterloo area.  Please check this page at Japan Shakuhachi:   http://www.japanshakuhachi.com/bonchiku.html
Perhaps he teaches and if he does you are all most fortunate as he has a solid background in Tozan and Kinko and he makes amazing flutes.

best of luck

#6 2008-09-16 01:28:41

wildwildtaz

me too. I bought the instrument recently and do not know how to play, even after reading some basic materials from the net.

I live 45 minutes North of Toronto. Any updates ?

#7 2008-09-16 18:55:50

Josh
PhD
Website

Hi,
Sorry guys, I've heard that Bonchiku has recently returned to Japan and is living back in Shiga Pref. (this is hearsay though).  I'm from Buffalo so I would be happy to organize some lessons, but unfortunately for the time being I currently live and teach in Nara now.  We could try to organize something when I periodically get back and visit? Contact me via email if anyone would like to talk more about this.

#8 2010-10-13 01:06:40

sokyoku
Website

Dr. Gerard Yun lives and teaches shakuhachi at his studio in Waterloo, and he is also the instructor at York University in Toronto (for students enrolled in York's Private Shakuhachi course).  Contact is gerard.yun@gmail.com.  (BTW, confirming that Bonchiku left Ontario more than a year ago.)

Without music, life would be a mistake.

#9 2016-04-26 00:04:57

Masahiro

I have moved to Toronto from Japan last November. I play Shakuhachi. I am still learning but I can teach how to play shakuhachi for beginners.
I am happy to meet people who play Shakuhachi. Please feel free to contact me.

Board footer