You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2007-03-14 21:13:48

shakudavid
Kansuke II, Shihan/Kinko Ryu
Website

Summer Shakuhachi Camp of the Rockies IX

Greetings Shakuhachi List Members,
I am writing to announce the details of the "Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies IX," June 21-25, 2007, less than four months away!

Visit http://www.shakucamp.com/  for more info right now, including registration materials.

This camp offers the most concentrated learning experience most shakuhachi students in the world might encounter this year. It also offers a very special concert, at 7pm, Saturday, June 23, at the Sunrise Ranch Dome, Loveland, Colorado

This year's camp continues to incorporate a specially formulated Beginner's Curriculum and a highly concentrated Intermediate/Advanced Course, and offers some seriously delightful shaku-community. Our goal is no less than to make your Shakucamp experience the most valuable 5 days you will spend with the shakuhachi this year.
    1. "Special Beginner Curriculum." For anyone who has come into the possession of their first shakuhachi any time in the past two years, this camp is for you! The six core faculty of Shakucamp since its inception, Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, Michael Chikuzen Gould, Kaoru Kakizakai, Yoshio Kurahashi, Riley Lee and David Wheeler, representing almost two centuries' teaching experience, continue to modify and improve what may be the most effective Shakuhachi Beginner Curriculum to be found.
For the duration of camp, all beginners will be following this curriculum with one of its authors. Faculty will change daily so students can enjoy the individual strengths of each faculty member.
    2. "Advanced Curriculum" Teachers will spend a lot of time concentrating on a modest number of pieces, thoroughly covering technique and musicality, thus guaranteeing you will come away from camp with new repertoire and technique under your belt.
    3. "Universal Curriculum" For one period each day, ALL camp participants, from Beginner to Advanced, join together for lectures and instruction on some core facet of the Shakuhachi: repertoire, technique, theory, philosophy, history, lore and more.
    4. "Shakucamp Jump-start Program"  You can actually start your camp experience months before arriving at Sunrise Ranch in late June. Camp registrants will be given access to a private page on the Shakucamp website where sheet music files of the teaching materials and pieces offered at camp can be browsed, perused, and downloaded at will. Audio files will also be made available for musical reference.
Our strong faculty will be offering a wide ranging and very deep curriculum. In addition to the standard classical Honkyoku (Zen solos) and Sankyoku (shamisen/koto/shakuhachi), and modern solos and ensembles, faculty will teach improvisation and much more.
It is going to be a wonderful 4 nights and 5 days. We hope to see you there!
Cheers,
David Wheeler
(2007 Summer Shakuhachi Camp of the Rockies IX, Faculty Representative)

=============
David Wheeler
Musician (Shakuhachi)/Musicologist
3660 Buckeye Ct., Boulder, CO, USA 80304
Tel./Fax 303-449-2935
shakudavid@gmail.com

Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies
http://www.shakucamp.com

#2 2007-06-15 12:46:22

shakudavid
Kansuke II, Shihan/Kinko Ryu
Website

Re: Summer Shakuhachi Camp of the Rockies IX

Riley Lee at Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies!

Dear Shaku-Otakus,

Don't miss out!
As of this morning, Firday, June 15, Riley Lee is officially attending as faculty "Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies, IX" which takes place next week, from June 21-25, in Loveland, Colorado. There is still space at camp left, and there are no late registration penalties, so don't miss an even greater than originally anticipated camp opportunity!!! Web-link below.
As the very busy organizer of World Shakuhachi Festival '08 in Sydney, Australia in July of next year, Riley had been expected to miss camp, and only hoped to see his US friends and students in Sydney next July. But he just could not pass up Rocky Shaku, as he has been a charter faculty member since its inceptin in 1999, on the heels of WSF98 in Boulder the previous year.
At camp, Lee will be teaching, performing, socializing, running, and plugging WSF08. Camp highlight will be the Masters Concert in the Dome at Sunrise Rance, Saturday, June 23 at 7:30pm.
We hope to see you all there!

David Wheeler
Musician (Shakuhachi)/Musicologist
3660 Buckeye Ct., Boulder, CO, USA 80304
Tel./Fax 303-449-2935
shakudavid@gmail.com

Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies
http://www.shakucamp.com

#3 2007-06-15 13:13:37

nyokai
shihan
Website

shakudavid wrote:

Don't miss out!

The Shakuhachi Summer Camp of the Rockies is about as good as it gets for studying, listening, and hanging out. Great teachers, great surroundings. It is an event I highly recommend for students at all levels.

#4 2007-06-30 17:06:17

PSTL

I attended this event last week, so I thought it might be a good idea to share my impressions. It was amazing! I recommend this type of intensive learning experience for anyone, at any level of proficiency.
It was my first lesson and I learned not just from the masters, but from beginners, intermediates, and advanced players. It was humbling but inspiring on all levels.
Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, Kaoru Kakizakai, Yoshio Kurahashi, Riley Lee, and David Wheeler were in top form. Their Saturday night concert was magical. If there was a bad note, I didn't hear it. Additionally, Yoka Hiraoka accompanied on Koto, Shamisen and Voice. She is amazingly talented! Each individual performance was unique, filled with personality and sophisticated professionalism. It just blew me away!
The lessons and practice sessions provided were excellent. I appreciated the patience that these masters exercised when attempting to instruct beginners like me. Watching, listening, and learning from these 7 masters was an experience I'll never forget.
It wasn't just about learning from the masters. Meeting other players, sharing experiences, and working through notation was extremely beneficial. I even ran into a participant at the airport and received some in flight help on fingering "Horai".
We need more of these types of events, in every corner of the world.

Thank you to all that organized this event. Thank you to Christopher Yohmei Blasdel, Kaoru Kakizakai, Yoshio Kurahashi, Riley Lee, David Wheeler, and Yoka Hiraoka. Thank you to all the participants who I can now call friends. 

Namaste
PSTL

#5 2007-07-01 14:25:06

Elliot K
Website

Not only do I concur with all that Philip (PSTL) said, but I'd also like to thank the other main organizer of the event, Cory Sperry. His dedication to making Shakucamp a reality every year cannot be overestimated. Let's also not forget David Sawyer's hard work behind the scenes. This is truly a group effort and we can't thank you all enough!
The Sensei Concert was the best yet (I'm saying this as a fifth-year attendee), and the inclusion of a commisioned piece by Marty Regan (who also conducted) was a pretty spectacular finale.
But it all comes down to the people, and the sense of community at Shakucamp has grown with every passing year. I genuinely look forward to seeing this wonderful extended family again next year (at Shakucamp Down Under?).

In gratitude,

Elliot

#6 2007-07-01 20:18:41

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

do you guys have any pictures or video from the camp?

#7 2007-07-02 23:06:39

Elliot K
Website

By popular demand:

http://www.tweakshop.com/Shakucamp1.html

Five pages of photos, mostly taken by my wife Cara.

Enjoy!

Elliot

#8 2007-07-03 13:57:43

rpowers

"Shut up 'n' play . . . " -- Frank Zappa
"Gonna blow some . . ." -- Junior Walker
"It's not the flute." -- Riley Lee

#9 2007-07-03 16:53:13

PSTL

Thank you Rich for the flickr post idea. I placed a few pics from the concert. I did the best I could without  a tripod and lighting. I hope you all enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com:80/photos/9645303@N04/

PSTL

#10 2007-07-03 22:48:48

edosan
Edomologist

Great pictures all!

Many thanks and deep bows for posting them.

eB

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#11 2007-07-03 22:52:20

geni
Performer & Teacher
Website

thank you guys.

Looks like you guys had a great time!