World Shakuhachi Discussion / Go to Live Shakuhachi Chat

You are not logged in.

Tube of delight!

#1 2006-03-31 05:17:45

Alex

Taking care of Shakuhachi

Hello all,

I post this topic here because I don't think it fits anywhere elseā€¦

I'll travel to Japan soon and I'll be getting a bamboo Shakuhachi. So far I have practiced with a wooden one and I didn't have to think much about taking care of it, but now everything changes and I want to be prepared.

My question is, how should I take care of it? I heard keeping it humid is important, for example by keeping it in a plastic bag and throwing some air in before closing it; others recommend the use of a small humidifier (but some people said that by using this method they had mold growing inside the flute!). Where I live, for example at the moment, we have a temperature of 25 degrees and a humidity of 26%, would the plastic bag and the breath be enough or is it too dry for that and I need something extra?

Also, should I keep the Shakuhachi ensembled every time I can or is it better to store it in two pieces? (I heard recommendations in both directions and I would like to hear some ideas about it).

I'm a bit concerned because I heard of a person who owns several Shakuhachi and lives in a similar place to where I live, and ALL his Shakuhachi cracked! Is there a way of avoiding this, or in certain weathers is not possible? I've also read that sometimes the Shakuhachi cracks because of the state of the bamboo when it was made. So many factors!

Salud!

Alex

"An artist has got to be careful never really to arrive at a place where he thinks he's "at" somewhere. You always have to realise that you are constantly in the state of becoming. And as long as you can stay in that realm, you'll sort of be all right"
Bob Dylan

#2 2006-03-31 10:06:25

James Nyoraku Schlefer
Dai Shihan
Website

Re: Taking care of Shakuhachi

Hi Alex

I recommend keeping the flute in plastic and if possible using a Dampit. Regarding mold; this will happen if you leave the flute for long periods of time without being played. If you play regularly, 3-4 times each week, it won't be a problem. In fact if you play regularly, the contact with your hands, the vibrations of the sound, and the moisture will prevent most cracking. shakuhachi like to be played! It doesn't make any difference if you keep the flute in one or two pieces. Finally, it is still possible that the instrument will crack, so don't go nuts trying to prevent it. Best to play low RO as much as possible.

James

#3 2006-07-18 12:33:35

Teaman

Does anyone know what the best percentage is for keeping shakuhachi? It seems that there are dozens of humidifiers on the market, and most of them have different percentages. Any ideas?

#4 2006-07-18 19:31:59

edosan
Edomologist

Teaman wrote:

Does anyone know what the best percentage is for keeping shakuhachi? It seems that there are dozens of humidifiers on the market, and most of them have different percentages. Any ideas?

If you live in a location that has high ambient humidity (above 50% relative humidity), this is really not much of an issue. The exception: Often places with high ambient humidity, say the Great Plains area of the US, have cold winters, which means that when the heat's on the relative humidity can plummet.

In locations with low ambient humidity, such as the Southwest or Mountain states, I suggest the plastic bag/damp sponge approach; yes, it's a minor hassle to get at your flute(s) with this method, but it is reliable, IF you attend to the sponge from time to time. See this link for an illustration:

http://www.yungflutes.com/log/archives/ … l#comments (Scroll UP--from Perry Yung's website, also posted elsewhere on the Forum, I believe)

I don't think there's much percentage in worrying about the numbers, but if you really want to get anal on this, build/acquire a nice flute-sized humidor with a hinged lid, install a simple mechanical humidity guage therein, and keep the humidity in the humidor at 50-60%. Quick access, necessary humidity; but try taking the whole rig with you to your lessons.   smile

I'd stick with the plastic bag approach and forget about the numbers...

eB

Last edited by edosan (2006-07-18 19:33:15)

Zen is not easy.
It takes effort to attain nothingness.
And then what do you have?
Bupkes.

#5 2006-07-18 23:07:29

Karmajampa
Website

Just an assumption, but a Jinari may react differently to a Jinashi with respect to moisture uptake. That is, a Jinari will absorb less moisture.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#6 2006-07-18 23:33:41

edosan
Edomologist

...and lose less as well.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#7 2006-07-19 02:00:06

dstone
Website

Moisture gain and loss in the exterior meat of jinashi and jiari would be very similar, and that's where the spread of a crack is most severe and likely to originate, no?

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#8 2006-07-19 08:55:12

edosan
Edomologist

I contend that, due to its nature, the inner surface of the bamboo is more subject to moisture gain/loss than the outer surface, thus the point that jiari shakuhachi lose less moisture, or at least lose it at a slower rate.

ANY shakuhachi is likely to crack if allowed to dry out and lose moisture long enough, it'll just take a bit more time for those with filled bores.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#9 2006-07-19 14:21:35

jamesnyman

Just a casual observation, but when I have seen older shakuhachi for sale on eBay over the past two years, the one piece jinashi shakuhachi offered seem to have far fewer cracks than the two piece jiari shakuhachi. I guess I thought it was because jinashi shakuhachi tended to lose moisture more evenly throughout the flute while the ji paste bore was more or less impervious to moisture almost assuring uneven drying in the bamboo...and cracking.

"The means are the ends in the making."  Mohandas K. Ghandi

#10 2006-07-19 15:28:19

Karmajampa
Website

Again I am making assumptions, but I think there are several different kinds of cracking and their reasons for doing so. Also, the initiation of a crack may occur a long time before it becomes visible.
An exterior crack would most likely occur from being exposed to a heat source such as the sun or a radiator. This crack may be most apparent on the outer surface but could affect the  bamboo through to the inner bore, unless it has only penetrated the skin.
The nature of a wood cell is such that the uptake of moisture can exert very high pressure within the cell itself, up to 2000psi.
With my own flute making, the only cracks I have noticed have been a result of kiln drying culms that have had the nodes removed prior to drying. The drying process I have used is to take the culm to 110 C for five hours. It is experimental and I am not satisfied with the results.
I have not as yet noticed any cracking in culms that have had the nodes left intact while being dried.

I would think that atmospheric moisture would affect the inner and outer sides of bamboo equally, though the skin may offer some resistance. There is also a membrane on the inner wall of bamboo, unless removed in the making of the flute, that may give some resistance to moisture uptake.
Noticing how much a Jiari gets wet from breath moisture compared to an un-laquered bore, I would assume the laquer provides good resistance, as well as possibly adding some strength to the surface.
However, my own flutes are made from 'black' bamboo, a softer bamboo than Madake. I don't laquer but do wipe with walnut oil.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#11 2006-07-19 19:54:59

Teaman

As I understand it, the curing process of bamboo forces its natural oils to the surface, where they cure; this film is the main factor in slowing down the moisture vapor exchange of the exterior of the bamboo. For the inside, the urushi definitely provides protection from moisture.

From my own woodworking experiences, I'm pretty sure that oil provides next to no protection against vapor exchange. Building up a finish and allowing it to cure (if the type of oil cures at all) can protect somewhat against moisture (but not so much vapor exchange). I'm really not sure why people use oil so much. Walunt oil itself is organic and very thin, and dosen't cure very well. An oil/varish type blend protects alot more, but then you're getting into metallic driers in the oil which significantly increase toxicity... and make your instrument kinda stinky wink .

#12 2006-07-19 20:15:50

dstone
Website

What is your opinion on using oil (tung, for example -- probably the fast-drying variety) on the inner bore as a mold-inhibitor.  i.e. possibly either preventing mold growth or making swabbing with the cleaning cloth easier.

-Darren.

When it is rainy, I am in the rain. When it is windy, I am in the wind.  - Mitsuo Aida

#13 2006-07-19 21:01:43

Karmajampa
Website

I chose walnut oil as it was referred as the oil of choice for woodwind instruments. It is sterile, colourless and odourless. I also use it as a carrier for an aromatic essential oil such as Ylang Ylang to aid in covering any bad odours. I think there must be a reasonable degree of penetration because after six months or more the Ylang Ylang is still quite aromatic. I always use a draw cloth after blowing to dry the bore.
Again, I am using the softer 'black' bamboo, not a lot softer, especially once dry. I don't use any laquer.

Kel.

Kia Kaha !

#14 2006-07-19 22:32:26

Teaman

My first piece of advice on oils is to make sure you know what you're buying. My companies label their oils not according to what's actually in the oil, but accroding to what sounds catchy/sells the most or is  an "accepted" term. For example: "Boiled linseed oil" is called "boiled" simply because manufacturers used to heat the oil (not boil) in order to mix in metallic driers. This process is not even used anymore (thanks to liquid driers), but the product is still called "Boiled". Make sure that whatever oil you use is "straight" as in "pure" otherwise you could have a really nasty surprise.

Personally, I wouldn't reccomend using tung oil. Tung oil still dosen't protect from vapor exchange, even when a film builds up. On top of it, tung oil is extremely difficult to turn into a film; it takes at least 5 or 6 coats (with sanding in between coats) and takes a very,very long time to dry. Once you add coats, you also have to think about how this changes the bore of your flute as well as its resonance properties. Once oil has dried in the bamboo, the only way to remove it is to remove the bamboo, or use industrial strength stripper. I don't think any of us want to do either.

My suggestion on making swabbing easier: reduce the size of your cloth. I use a piece of cheesecloth, which is extremely cheap, non-abrasive, and even looks nice. Gradually trim the cloth as you pass it throught the bore until there is very little resistance. All you are trying to do when swabbing is pick up the excess moisture. When you play your shakuhachi, the spaces inbetween the cells in the bamboo take the moisture from your breath because you are, in essence, creating an atmosphere of high-humidity. This moisture will be released from these spaces as soon as there is an environmental change (such as you stop blowing into the flute).Swab the bore once or twice after you've played, and then let your shakuhachi air out ( I even keep the utaguchi cap off to facilitate this, just put it somewhere safe). If you do not let the air circulate, this is when you will get funky smells. The smell is the direct result of bacteria, living and breeding in the moisture. Once the moisture evaporates, no more bacteria. You should not have to add any scents to any musical instrument; all you are doing is hiding the fact that it needs to breathe. Scent is also not an indicator of penetration; just the potency of the product.

Sorry for the long post smile  hopefully people will find it useful.

#15 2006-07-19 23:58:26

dstone
Website

Thanks for the oil thoughts, Teaman.  I'm debating whether I'll run tung oil through the bores of my next flutes.  I have done it before, with good results -- two coats, with multi-week and mildly smelly drying times even with polymerized tung oil.  (I have pure tung oil, also from Lee Valley, and it smells nice enough, but I think it would take forever to cure/dry.)

But a complication have now is significant node material left inside my recent flutes.  I'm reluctant to remove more, because I'm happy with the open-ness (or lack of it) and tuning.

The node material will complicate oiling or urushi (which I've never done, but have borrowed some to try if I dare...)

-Darren.

Last edited by dstone (2006-07-19 23:59:59)

#16 2006-09-21 11:26:25

pablo63

To oil or not to oil...that is the question. Living in northwest Washington state so I should'nt be concerned w/a new jinashi boning out & cracking, but some say use walnut or tung oil thru the bore or treat the whole flute by occasionally wiping it w/one of these oils & some say it could promote mold.  whadayasay?

#17 2007-08-02 07:01:23

Adrian

Why do we wipe away the moisture from our breath after playing, but then use a Dampit to add moisture when not playing?

#18 2007-08-02 10:10:44

edosan
Edomologist

The MAIN reason for wiping the bore of a shakuhachi after playing is not to remove the moisture, but to remove all the detritus that gets deposited with it, or that the moisture attracts: These little items (details to be left to the imagination) can attract mold, and/or build up in the bore if not regularly removed.

eB

Zen is not easy.
Bupkes.

#19 2007-08-02 11:01:10

Adrian

Ah...yes...makes sense now!!! Thanks.

#20 2007-08-02 12:30:25

dstone
Website

Practice good oral hygiene and listen to Ed or your flute bore could look like this.

Adrian wrote:

Why do we ... use a Dampit to add moisture when not playing?

Dampits?!  We don't need no stinking Dampits! 
I live in Dampit, Canada.

-Darren.

#21 2007-08-02 16:43:47

Adrian

Ha ha! Mind you...have you seen the weather in England this summer? Floods, floods, floods...such unusual, extreme weather. Very damp indeed!

Board footer